wife hates loose rocks..too early to introduce them to her?

So, luckily I still somewhat remember what it was like to be a brand new rider and scared of certain obstacles and I am trying to use that as guidance. But loose rocks is something I cant remember if I struggled on them or not. Wife has been riding for 3 or 4 times now and she can ride the flowy flat stuff pretty easy. she can ride hard packed rocks, but loose rocks she hates. Do you guys remember when you introduced your wife to loose rocks? did she hate it at first? when should I start introducing loose rocks to her? dont want to push them away from the sport if its going to be a scary ride all the time

Took quite a while for my wife to really get a handle on large fields of rocks.  IMHO introducing them too early is bad.  Let her get good confidence with control and speed, then add short sections of loose rocks.  Makes it easier to learn you need to be moving to get over them. 

6 minutes ago, slotracer577 said:

Took quite a while for my wife to really get a handle on large fields of rocks.  IMHO introducing them too early is bad.  Let her get good confidence with control and speed, then add short sections of loose rocks.  Makes it easier to learn you need to be moving to get over them. 

ok thanks perhaps 4th or 5th ride was a bit too much then. it was a an uphill ride with rocks the size of a fist. she did it no prob going up, but going down was a whole other story and her confidence was shot and was done for the day

Edited by RWW enduro

Introduce them to her right away, if you prefer riding with your buddies. 😉

On 6/28/2020 at 9:32 AM, RWW enduro said:

ok thanks perhaps 4th or 5th ride was a bit too much then. it was a an uphill ride with rocks the size of a fist. she did it no prob going up, but going down was a whole other story and her confidence was shot and was done for the day

I think slotracer is right, introduce roads with small sections of loose rock.  As she successfully conquers different terrain in small bits she can work up to longer stretches.  Overloading her with a ride under stress the whole time will turn her off.  Alternate the easy stuff with challenging stuff.  

I can't exactly say when I got comfortable with loose rocks that size, maybe about 5mths in.  A trip out to Big Bend and Pinto Canyon Road that was freshly graded really challenged me, and has boosted my confidence having done it.  Prior to that I had ridden on the weekends doing Tx Hill Country dirt/caliche/rock roads, I'd safely say more than 5 rides though. 

Here's what I learned on my ride, perhaps it might help your wife.

-  I felt more under control when I was standing when doing downhill sections.  It made it easy for me to bend my knees and get into a good position to allow the bike to dance around under me

- I also found that I had to let the bike work and bounce and roll instead of direct it too much unless I got kicked off a line that put me in danger of going over the edge or wrecking out  

- Be in a low enough gear to let the engine brake do the work allowed more control than free wheeling and going too fast where I had to use brakes

- Throttle can generally get me out of trouble.  There's a point where going slow was too unstable, faster better to skip over stuff - momentum, under control of course

- Lastly, my suspension is setup for me thanks to GoRace.  It soaked up bumps and didn't buck me, it was predictable which made me staying on a lot easier

Perhaps a contributing factor was I had just added a set of ProTaper Universal 1-1/8" risers and CR Mids.  They sit a little higher and closer to me than stock setup, and they are wider.  I had much more leverage over the bike with this setup.  They've given me a lot more confidence on my control.  If you haven't done so already, help your wife get her bike ergonomically fine tuned.  That might give her a boost.  

Good luck

Edited by Monica
  • Like 1