Battery Tender BTL09A150CW Longevity?

I replaced the aftermarket lead acid battery my 2014 400S came with and put in the 150a, 2.5AH battery tender lithium mentioned in the title. I used it for a couple days one camping trip. A couple weeks later I went to use it and it was dead. I have done the free power mod on my bike and I was expecting this battery to hold a better charge without being hooked up to the float charger. After that it charged back up using the battery tender lithium charger. I wanted to get the 240AH version, but it appears to be too big for the battery tray. Is this typical performance with this battery? Does it require the float charger in between uses because of the small AH rating? Shouldn't it maintain a charge since I did the free power mod?

Thanks!

It seems that the Battery Tender brand of batteries are not as good as they should be. Lots of reports of them dieing way ahead of their time. Battery Tender customer service is also bad. They had a bad attitude when I warranteed my first one that died less than a year after purchase. Replacement sent to me also died. Not a good battery after all. Looking for a new battery and brand at this time.

22 minutes ago, BurnCycle said:

It seems that the Battery Tender brand of batteries are not as good as they should be. Lots of reports of them dieing way ahead of their time. Battery Tender customer service is also bad. They had a bad attitude when I warranteed my first one that died less than a year after purchase. Replacement sent to me also died. Not a good battery after all. Looking for a new battery and brand at this time.

Oh that sucks. Maybe I'll just go with lead acid for now then. luckily today was the last day of my return window to Amazon so I'm going to get my money back, but I was hoping to buy another lithium and its place.

I had 1 and ruined  it from over discharging it.  Battery Tender sent me a new one no questions asked.  The new battery sat for the winter in the parts cabinet before I put it in the Beta. It was flawless for 2 summers and still strong when I sold the bike.

The DRZ instruction panel has a parasitic drain. If it sits long enough, it will drain any battery.  The problem with a lithium is if you discharge it too low it won't take a charge again.   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I had 1 and ruined  it from over discharging it.  Battery Tender sent me a new one no questions asked.  The new battery sat for the winter in the parts cabinet before I put it in the Beta. It was flawless for 2 summers and still strong when I sold the bike.

The DRZ instruction panel has a parasitic drain. If it sits long enough, it will drain any battery.  The problem with a lithium is if you discharge it too low it won't take a charge again.   

Okay so if I get a replacement and religiously put it on the tender after a day of riding it should be okay? Did you have the 2.5AH battery or the bigger 4AH one?

The battery should be recharging while your riding and IMO you would only have to put it on a tender if you were saying not riding the bike for a few months but even then, you can just disconnect the ground and maybe something to check cus you might have a drain when the bike is off

Edited by filterx

21 minutes ago, Kowabunga_Dude said:

Okay so if I get a replacement and religiously put it on the tender after a day of riding it should be okay? Did you have the 2.5AH battery or the bigger 4AH one?

2.5.  I replaced it with a stronger Shoria.  I needed more cca to spin over a decompression-less engine .  The little BT could do it but it wasn't as strong as I would of liked .