98 yz400f won’t start

Ok guys new to this bike just picked up a pretty clean 98 yz400f on trade I took and put a new wiesco top end in it but can’t get the bike to start. The timing is spot on to my knowledge the cam dots are at aligned at 9 12 and 3 o clock with 13 pins in between top dots Its in line Straight across with the cylinder head and aligned with the timing mark in the case, the intake valves are .18Mm for the intake and .28mm for the exhaust.The carb is jetted to 175 main, 45 pilot, and 2 turns out, and the New spark plug is getting spark. Also have good compression cant even kick it through tdc. I have tried to start with starting fluid but i’m not sure what els to look for on this bike any thoughts would be appreciated I have a manual on the way but I’m trying to get riding for the holiday and it won’t be here, thanks in advance

9 minutes ago, Schpenxel said:

Does it start on starting fluid or no?

Did it run before the rebuild?

It’s almost always a cam timing issue or carb issue on these bikes. 

It did not start off starting fluid, and I was told it would pop start b4 the rebuild but never tried it I figured if it wouldn’t kick start I would go ahead and change the top end. Is there another way to Time It?  I have it timed with the timing marks on the front of the cams

Post some pictures of the cam positions/orientation with the flywheel at the TDS timing mark.

Someone will be able to tell if they’re right or not. If it doesn’t fire even on starting fluid then that’s where I’d look first.

8 hours ago, Schpenxel said:

Post some pictures of the cam positions/orientation with the flywheel at the TDS timing mark.

Someone will be able to tell if they’re right or not. If it doesn’t fire even on starting fluid then that’s where I’d look first.

6DA59E12-17AE-4DDF-B99A-573541126814.jpeg

9BF39A4F-0B9E-4912-BB12-AC5DCABECC39.jpeg

D1A81F4E-919C-4332-BB88-3ABDCF75E313.jpeg

Update: I have retimed the cams making sure the the cam lobes are 180 apart instead of by the cam marks, I reset the valve lash and put it back together now the bike pops off over and over almost every kick but will not run would that change my attention to a carburetor issue? 

• 6 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 3:41 PM, Benoitboys said:

Did you ever figure out the issue? I have the same bike im bringing back to life

Look through the FAQ post to start with lots of good information. These bikes are hard to start. With the manual decomp lever there's a particular routine to follow when kicking. Luckily the one I'm working on has the hot cam exhaust cam with auto decomp.