Ruekoe

Clicking noise from back hub

Got done with a ride today and noticed a cracking/click sound when pushing my bike into the garage. I have some slack in the chain so that slaps around a little bit this sounds more like it’s coming from the axle/hub area possibly by the chain guard. I have tusk hubs on there the bearing were replaced all around from the previous owner. Any ideas what to look for? Some bolts were loose on the sprocket but I tightened that and it was still there. 

45 minutes ago, Ruekoe said:

Got done with a ride today and noticed a cracking/click sound when pushing my bike into the garage. I have some slack in the chain so that slaps around a little bit this sounds more like it’s coming from the axle/hub area possibly by the chain guard. I have tusk hubs on there the bearing were replaced all around from the previous owner. Any ideas what to look for? Some bolts were loose on the sprocket but I tightened that and it was still there. 

Sounds like it’s out of alignment. Also how old is the chain?

18 minutes ago, tcemoto said:

Sounds like it’s out of alignment. Also how old is the chain?

Honestly I’m not sure it’s my first bike I got it used but the owner kept it very well maintained. On the chain side by the axle I can see the hub guard looks crooked and has a little gap on one side. On the side opposite of the chain the hub guard looks lined up solid. Could that be it? 

26 minutes ago, Ruekoe said:

Honestly I’m not sure it’s my first bike I got it used but the owner kept it very well maintained. On the chain side by the axle I can see the hub guard looks crooked and has a little gap on one side. On the side opposite of the chain the hub guard looks lined up solid. Could that be it? 

I’m not entirely sure I follow. If I understand correctly, it sounds like the axle is loose. If you could post a pic that would help a ton. I’m sure we’re just lost in translation. Meanwhile, welcome to life on two wheels! Here is a great video related to the matter and hat may or may not help: 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I had a weird clicking sound once.  Figured my chain was toast.  Bought new chain and sprockets.  When I went to replace them, I found a small stone jammed in between a couple of links.  Check your chain, sprockets, and the chain pathway for any unusual debris.

• Helpful 1

53 minutes ago, Ruekoe said:

Could be the masterlink pins tapping on the chain guide as it rolls around. A clip style m link has longer pins than the rest of the chain and if the guide is bent over it'll tap.

could also be the sprocket teeth are worn or hooked, or chain too tight.

• Helpful 1

16 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

Wheel bearings, loose spokes?

I just went back and took a look it definitely sounds like it’s coming from the bearing but they were all just replaced? 

20 hours ago, tcemoto said:

I’m not entirely sure I follow. If I understand correctly, it sounds like the axle is loose. If you could post a pic that would help a ton. I’m sure we’re just lost in translation. Meanwhile, welcome to life on two wheels! Here is a great video related to the matter and hat may or may not help: 

50F06E26-5E0B-47B2-9A5F-EA9E5FF4DB64.jpeg

483D88BA-1520-4C84-B84A-CAD514A391C1.jpeg

Just now, Ruekoe said:

50F06E26-5E0B-47B2-9A5F-EA9E5FF4DB64.jpeg

483D88BA-1520-4C84-B84A-CAD514A391C1.jpeg

The fort picture is what I’m talking about there’s a gap on the hub guard (I think that’s what it’s called) that’s not there on the other side. In the second picture I noticed it looks a little janky not sure if it should be like that. I checked the sprockets there all good not sure about the chain, I was told the bearing were replaced But I’m not sure because I diddnt do it myself I was just told, seemed like an honest seller tho. Measured from the axle blocks they seem to be the same distance 

20 hours ago, Gflo said:

I had a weird clicking sound once.  Figured my chain was toast.  Bought new chain and sprockets.  When I went to replace them, I found a small stone jammed in between a couple of links.  Check your chain, sprockets, and the chain pathway for any unusual debris.

Checked them diddnt see anything I ran a chain brush over it for awhile too. 

19 hours ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

Simple take the wheel off and spin the bearings. Might be short lived Chinese bearings. 

So I took the chain off first spun the wheel noise was still there. Took the wheel off spun it diddnt get any notching or anything seemed pretty smooth. The bearings looked good. I did notice the bearings diddnt look lined up very good not sure if that matters but I took a photo. I’m gunna guess it’s the alignment? 

8242A1A6-5322-4450-A552-07433A7153B1.jpeg

DD3E0A02-339F-4636-A798-9F5F91C25377.jpeg

154B5AAC-866A-4702-ABE2-7A2F0A4FDC82.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Ruekoe said:

So I took the chain off first spun the wheel noise was still there. Took the wheel off spun it diddnt get any notching or anything seemed pretty smooth. The bearings looked good. I did notice the bearings diddnt look lined up very good not sure if that matters but I took a photo. I’m gunna guess it’s the alignment? 

Will the bearings wobble at all? The alignment thing you’re talking about appears to be the spacer. That is normal. It I’ll move freely until the axle is installed.

Edited by tcemoto

10 minutes ago, Ruekoe said:

If your spinning the wheel and it is making knocking type of noises it’s likely the bearings. You might order both bearings and the spacer in the middle from whoever made the wheels to make sure it’s all correct. 

1 hour ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

If your spinning the wheel and it is making knocking type of noises it’s likely the bearings. You might order both bearings and the spacer in the middle from whoever made the wheels to make sure it’s all correct. 

Gunna order the bearing when there in stock I have the tusk impact setup so I’m gunna get the bearing set for that. I’m still really new to all this so I’m not sure how it’s supposed to look but it definitely was not lined up. 

45889CB8-DCD2-4EFF-8463-5B1501488B9E.jpeg

B7891995-51F3-4858-AFB7-0D336DDF374F.jpeg

1 hour ago, wetneck said:

Looks like you need to lose a link as well

Definitely, maybe 2 links it was pretty bad I could fit 4 fingers pretty comfortably In between the chain