Rekluse Radius X or CX

13 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

The radius x does come with heavier springs, but you can mix 3/3 with oem springs if the pull is undesirable and still not have slippage. I'v noticed a minimal increase in clutch pull feel, but really a non issue for me. If you had really weak hands, or lingering damage/pain there are ways around it. You may also find that you fan the clutch less and let the auto clutch do the job it was designed to do (fan when needed). 

Totally agree, just pointing out some of the differences.  I have both the CX and Core 3 and obviously do take advantage of it at times.  I do however cover the lever most of the time and ride it like a manual.  I find the Rekluse extra handy for when doing trail work and or when I'm getting tired :)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, firffighter said:

There is no "built in slip rpm range". Please show us where you are getting that from? Have you personally run a Radius X or CX? 

You have the ability to tune where Rekluse engagement point and how it engages, if that's what you are trying to say. The above video from Slavens is very detailed on that process. 

You can 100% feather the clutch on steep loose hillclimbs with the Rekluse Radius X. 

Yes I have ridden with both. I owned a RX and a CX, which were both removed.  The clutch is designed to slip, and it slips at the lower rpms. That is how it works.

You can very the engagment rpm slightly with the springs, and you can very the impact (speed) of the engagement slightly, with the wedges.

I ran the heaviest spring and wedges to try and get a narrow, hard engagment. It helped a lot, but not enough for me.  I also tried the 'against the wall' burnishing technique, tried different oils, talked to Joe at Rekluse, and we both agreed that it would never work for me.

It still slips. You cannot shift up at the bottom of a hill and modulate the clutch manually (instead of starting in a lower gear, then shifting up)  because you end up in the 'automatic' slip range, and your lever does nothing. 

It's much easier to climb a really steep hill in a gear too high with manual clutch modulation that it is to start low, shift up, then later shift down. 

With the Rekluse you must always be above the 'slip rpm', so you must be in a rpm that might be higher than you would like.

To say the RX or CX feels like and acts like a stock clutch, is just not correct.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, KRAYNIAL said:

It still slips. You cannot shift up at the bottom of a hill and modulate the clutch manually (instead of starting in a lower gear, then shifting up)  because you end up in the 'automatic' slip range, and your lever does nothing. 

You either have an install or tune issue. Something was definitely wrong as you most certainly can do exactly this. 

I have done this many times with the Radius X on the 390. Climbed all of the gnar at Moab, and huge, long, boulder laiden hills in NE Oregon.  

There is no "slip rpm".  When the engagement  point if set correctly,  you experience zero slip when clutch is released as it would normally.  In fact,  at idle,  and in gear your bike should be pulsing forward, so there's actually zero slip at all. 

You can run a gear high on long steep hills and constantly modulate your clutch as you would normally. 

Riders with Rekluse do this all of the time, all day long. 

@Kendall993,It should be noted that this information is nothing new and there are thousands of Rekluse owners who use their clutch the same as stock in every type of riding situation possible and the clutch works identical to stock. I would suggest talking to individuals in your local area,  like Walker, (where the terrain is technical and difficult),  who ride with a Rekluse and have first hand experience. 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 2

It's ironic,  I'm actually here on shift and my afternoon project between calls is installing the Clake SLR Left Hand rear brake on '18 Beta X trainer that's been running the Rekluse Radius X, that I installed and setup when the bike was purchased.  This X trainer has been all across the PNW, and hit Gifford,  Tillamook burn, N. Idaho, Moab, etc. The Radius X has worked flawlessly and the clutch is used as you would normally. 

Another advantage,  if you choose to go that route, is running a Left hand rear brake. Many riders find this a huge benefit to running a Rekluse as well. 

Just another option to consider. 

20200629_134751.jpg.d422a84a6322e33a9d0ab7b137e5d65f.jpg

20200629_134733.jpg.dac921286c21dfbbadbe4504579e7bb3.jpg

20200629_134722.jpg.e5285c2d21f6016fab0c633ef41e0ea2.jpg

20200629_134807.jpg.58a306b233d118f644574efb2083df4a.jpg

• Helpful 1

The key is set up. do you want to &%$#@! around in the garage all the time with set up or do you want to ride. You have to do constant testing to make sure it is set up to your liking. Testing time takes away from riding time. Regular clutch works just fine and you do not have to go into lengthy install and testing.

No i have not owned one, but i have ridden a total of about 25 miles between 2 bikes that have had them. The clutch felt different on both of those bikes. It did not operate like the clutch on my bikes without a rekluse. We have a hill at SDR that is very easy, but i tend to stall on all the time cause i  forget its coming up and i am riding to close to the guy in front of me. Both bikes that had the Rekluse i have to turn around and start over. Both the 200 and the 300 i have been able to feather the clutch and power up from mid hill.

Between the amount of time for install and set, along with the price. I would rather spend the money on other things and spend the time involved actually riding. From my limited time on a rekluse bike i see no advantage to owning one. In fact the guy who bought my 300, is a riding buddy. His KTM 250 fourstoke has a rekluse. After our ride on saturday he told me that he is enjoying riding with a clutch over the rekluse. He said that the more he learns proper clutch control, the easier riding is becoming.

Kendel do your homework and if you can ride a bike with a Rekluse, do it. It comes down to personal preference and how much time you want to spend on set up and testing. I do not know about you but i do not dump a grand into my bike for shitz and giggles. 

Edited by Eric72
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KRAYNIAL said:

I ran the heaviest spring

If you are referring the EXP springs here, that is part of your problem right there.  I assume you were referring to the pressure plate springs though?! 

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

4 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

Why am i not surprised ?

Exactly. Someone who has not installed one or tuned one, and doesn't own one is speaking from zero experience or knowledge of installation or how to properly tune one.  

Anyone with elementary mechanical skills can install and have it setup to your liking in less than an hour. 

Kendall,  take NW drz up on his offer! Good peeps, knowledgeable and handy I hear!  Probably easily bribed with beer. Heard @shrubitup has possibly used this method.

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NW_drZ said:

Why am i not surprised ?

You should not be, as i am incredibly consistent. I wont ever dump that much money and time into and modification with out some experience. If that is wrong, oh well.  

6 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

No, not the clutch springs, the expansion disc springs

The heavier the EXP springs the longer it takes for the wedges to expand the ring fully.  By what you describe, you wanted instant engagement with virtually no slip, you would then want the lightest EXP springs so that the ring is out the picture the fastest.  It's quite noticeable between the light, medium and heavy settings.  I have tested all 3 in both the Core 3 and CX.  The lightest in the CX is almost too fast of a grab IMO (at least on the 17' and earlier).    

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Just now, NW_drZ said:

The heavier the EXP springs the longer it takes for the wedges to expand the ring fully.  By what you describe, you wanted instant engagement with virtually no slip, you would then wanted the lightest EXP springs so that the ring is out the picture the fastest.  It's quite noticeable between the light, medium and heavy settings.  I have tested all 3 in both the Core 3 and CX.  The lightest in the CX is almost too fast of a grab IMO (at least on the 17' and earlier).    

No, I meant the lightest springs for the expansion ring, not the heaviest. If I recall, they were the red ones.

2 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

You should not be, as i am incredibly consistent. I wont ever dump that much money and time into and modification with out some experience. If that is wrong, oh well.  

I totally feel you man, i just think the part about not progressing on clutch technique when having a rekluse is flawed.  Its up to the user at that point.  I have had one for about 2 years now and have progressed a lot as a rider and with my clutch skills.  Ill jump on your bike and do all the same techniques no problem.  For me at least it transfers over from bike to bike.  I think @firffighter has had the same experience.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

10 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Exactly. Someone who has not installed one or tuned one, and doesn't own one is speaking from zero experience or knowledge of installation or how to properly tune one.  

Anyone with elementary mechanical skills can install and have it setup to your liking in less than an hour. 

Kendall,  take NW drz up on his offer! Good peeps, knowledgeable and handy I hear!  Probably easily bribed with beer. Heard @shrubitup has possibly used this method.

So riding a couple bikes is with rekluse on them is no experience. Sorry, but i would rather build trail and ride than spend time wrenching. Do not tell me my way is wrong, cause i have never once ripped you on your opinion when it comes to stuff like this.

Edited by Eric72

9 minutes ago, firffighter said:

I admit i do miss @shrubitup's visits.  Ever since this damn covid shit we aren't able to destroy cheap beer and talk about bikes for hours

:(  

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

So riding a couple bikes is with rekluse on them is no experience. Sorry, but i would rather build trail and ride than spend time wrenching. Do tell me my way is wrong, cause i have never once ripped you on your opinion when it comes to stuff like this.

As i mentioned earlier, building trail is often where i find the rekluse shines!

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

6 minutes ago, KRAYNIAL said:

No, I meant the lightest springs for the expansion ring, not the heaviest. If I recall, they were the red ones.

You are correct.. the lightest springs are the red ones.  Out of curiosity what bike was this in? You were able to get a steady pulsing idle with the heaviest wedges and lightest EXP springs?  This setup in my Beta literally drags so bad the bike will ride itself.        

• Like 3