fast rocky sections on a 2 stroke

i usually ride 4 strokes but i just got a yz 250x. im getting used to the bike in tight tech stuff and slow rocky sections  but im having trouble in fast rocky sections and long rocky hillclimbs, like the ones you find on powerlines. these hills are to steep to lug it and its hard to control if your on the pipe. i know it will never be a 450 but my 2 stroke buddies dont seem to have an issue on this type of trails. any tips guys? the bike is stock and seems to be in good condition.

14 hours ago, elrontx said:

i usually ride 4 strokes but i just got a yz 250x. im getting used to the bike in tight tech stuff and slow rocky sections  but im having trouble in fast rocky sections and long rocky hillclimbs, like the ones you find on powerlines. these hills are to steep to lug it and its hard to control if your on the pipe. i know it will never be a 450 but my 2 stroke buddies dont seem to have an issue on this type of trails. any tips guys? the bike is stock and seems to be in good condition.

Dam good bike! Don't ride over your head, body casts suck. If you dont feel confident in your skills and your learning level on that 2t, keep practing, or suffer the consequence's....?image.thumb.png.34918a3fe6fbaf55f9ad0b0af4449ee7.pngimage.png.30411541b7cb6b719c3063de3fdbb0ec.png

• Haha 1

thanks, its a 2016, the newest bike i ever owned. its just the long rocky hills im having trouble with, short and smooth hills are ok. theirs a long rough rocky hill on my loop, it was easy enough on my old 450 and not to bad on my old 250f but it seems like i have to find that sweet spot. i was thinking about putting a heavier flywheel to give it more low end.

IMG_0393.JPG

• Helpful 1

9 minutes ago, elrontx said:

i was thinking about putting a heavier flywheel to give it more low end.

A heavier flywheel does not increase 'low end', 

it just stores energy, preventing stalls and mellowing the power delivery.

On a YZ250, even the MX version it would be my very first mod to do.

Top end HP remains the same, only it takes a tiny bit longer to rev out.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Just now, mlatour said:

A heavy flywheel does not increase 'low end', 

it just stores energy, preventing stalls and mellowing the power delivery.

Top end HP remains the same, only it takes a tiny bit longer to rev out.

will it smooth out the midrange hit? the hit is not helpful on rocky terrain which is what i mostly ride. 

• Like 1

I've never ridden a YZ250X but indeed most flywheels smooth out the 'hit',

ideally buy complete heavier flywheel assy and not just a bolt on weight.

If the hit is still difficult to manage, you could retard the ignition timing 1-2 degrees.

I'm sure there a powervalve governor mods (spring preload) as well.

Yes clutching techniques play a big part in riding a 2-stroke.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

1 minute ago, mlatour said:

I've never ridden a YZ250X but indeed most flywheels smooth out the 'hit',

ideally buy complete heavier flywheel assy and not just a bolt on weight.

If the hit is still difficult to manage, you could retard the ignition timing 1-2 degrees.

I'm sure there a powervalve governor mods (spring preload) as well.

thanks, the heaviest one is 13 ounces, idk what stock is. the bike now is good in the slow tech stuff and the flowy trails but the hit messes me up in the long rock hills. 

• Like 1

Keep in mind in rocky sections there is more involved,

namely the suspension which may aggravate an already responsive engine if the rear tire keeps unloading.

Try speeding up the shock's rebound to keep the tire in contact.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Keep in mind in rocky sections there is more involved,

namely the suspension which may aggravate an already responsive engine if the rear tire keeps unloading.

Try speeding up the shock's rebound to keep the tire in contact.

thats a good idea, thanks. 

8 hours ago, elrontx said:

thanks, its a 2016, the newest bike i ever owned. its just the long rocky hills im having trouble with, short and smooth hills are ok. theirs a long rough rocky hill on my loop, it was easy enough on my old 450 and not to bad on my old 250f but it seems like i have to find that sweet spot. i was thinking about putting a heavier flywheel to give it more low end.

IMG_0393.JPG

Torque pipe combo, go up 1 tooth on the rear sprox, presto, chango' hill climber speciale'!

9 hours ago, elrontx said:

IMG_0393.JPG

Front tire needs some air....

On 6/29/2020 at 3:53 AM, elrontx said:

Ride on the pipe. On a two stroke those sections become effortless if you basically mono them. I hate 4 strokes in big rock gardens, always wish i was on my yz so i could just pick up the front end and blip across it. On fast downhills i get way back and just likey the front end go. Feels just like you're on a mountain bike. I hate the ponderous engine braking feel of a 4t front end. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, elrontx said:

will it smooth out the midrange hit? the hit is not helpful on rocky terrain which is what i mostly ride. 

Retard the timing 2 degrees if you wanna smooth it out, and a big flywheel weight will help keep it chugging and hook up when you do lose momentum. You can also 'jet for traction' by running it a little fat on the pilot, surprising how much you can tune the off-idle response just with the air screw. 

1 hour ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Torque pipe combo, go up 1 tooth on the rear sprox, presto, chango' hill climber speciale'!

No no no no. Why do people do this. That just makes it hit harder and spin up faster. Makes controlling wheelspin with the clutch more difficult. Wanna climb hills, carry more speed. And tubliss absolutely rules, id never go back to tubes for technical riding. 

Edited by BetaCuck
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, elrontx said:

Yes.  A buddy is running the GYTR flywheel on a YZ250, and it helps tame the hit and gets better traction.  Helps in rocks.

• Helpful 2

36 minutes ago, Doctor Impostor said:

Ride on the pipe. On a two stroke those sections become effortless if you basically mono them. I hate 4 strokes in big rock gardens, always wish i was on my yz so i could just pick up the front end and blip across it. On fast downhills i get way back and just likey the front end go. Feels just like you're on a mountain bike. I hate the ponderous engine braking feel of a 4t front end. 

What do you mean by mono them?

Use the clutch to modulate the torque on rough hills for traction.  If the bike is full on the pipe uphill there will be a lot of weight transfer rearward and the chain effect on the chassis will make it feel rigid.  This is fine if its fast and smoother (small rocks/gravel) but bigger stuff you need to work the clutch.  The 2stroke makes its power in a more narrow range, steeper curve, you use the clutch to stay on the leading edge of that curve. 

• Helpful 2