Mice in your vehicle's motor - 

happens to you guys, and what are your recommendations?

My vacation place is real rural and its not like I live in a rodent sanctuary, but we have had a mouse or 2 try to set up shop on the motors of our trucks from time to time.  We now usually just leave up the hood, and that seems to do the trick. Fortunately we haven't had any damage to put a vehicle out of commission. Haven't built a garage yet, so the trucks stay out in the open when we are there.

Just wondering what others have effectively done in similar situations.

A garage won't help. I had a loose chew before wiring harness on my f150. 

No good solution to keep them out that I have found. 

• Sad 1

If there is a particular spot they like to nest in, a bag of moth balls placed there will keep them from home building. It works for a generator, ZTR and ATVs kept at our off grid cabin. That said, trucks are a lot bigger and rodents are very persistent so you may have to buy stock in a moth ball factory.

• Helpful 1

That one looks too well fed to be a mouser .....          local  ranch feedstore has rat and mouse bars ..   break up and throw around and under vehicles or in out buildings and attics...  

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

Looks are deceiving, darned Cat brings animals home all the time (most times 1/2 a mouse).

I have to lock him up & return the bunnies to the wild. 

I think he is lonely outside and just wanst to play with the bunnies, he is not interested in eating them.

1657621536_ScreenHunter_1997Jun_2916_50.jpg.89ce2de5c3fb6f25fe66ae3c54022614.jpg

Edited by MVI
  • Like 1

I had lots of trouble with rats and mice chewing though fire wall insulation and wiring at my last place. At one stage a mate left his Landcruiser on blocks behind my shed for 12 months and they got inside and did a lot of damage. Sometimes you would hear them under the bonnet when I got into a car. I had limited success with traps but they require resetting and rebaiting often. I did use ultrasonic repellent devices with questionable success. I don't like poison because it is indiscriminate. But I used Talon wax bait blocks and put them in the purlins of the shed where most native lizards etc wouldn't go. I also put them in cooler places in the car engine bays. This was probably the best defence. I think the population decreased when I stopped getting rid of the red belly blacksnakes that lived under the shed.  

• Like 2

I have this problem with a Wheel Horse garden tractor that only gets used intermittently.  I keep these little pet proof mice poison boxes around the shed and it works as long as I keep them refilled.  Eventually though I'll forget to re-check them for a few months and will find a nest under the hood.

https://www.tomcatbrand.com/en-us/products/mouse-baits/tomcat-mouse-killer-child-dog-resistant-refillable-station

• Like 1

They seem to like Ford and Toyota wiring from what I've seen.  Old 76 Dodge PU I have, no problem,  but they did nest in the exhaust.  Blew out the nest and cooked the rest, lol.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Cats and traps. They have electric traps that work well now, but the classic victors are good too.

Poison means they can crawl into your vent, in your wall, under the floor and die - I much prefer being able to dispose of the body myself rather than letting the mouse pick it’s resting place. Also with poison there’s the risk another animal eats the poisoned mouse and gets poisoned.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

6 hours ago, dgodirt said:

They seem to like Ford and Toyota wiring from what I've seen.  Old 76 Dodge PU I have, no problem,  but they did nest in the exhaust.  Blew out the nest and cooked the rest, lol.

As I understand it, The Eco teams at the oem's went to a soy based plastic coating on the wires, VW, Toyota for sure.  Mice like to eat it.  The older trucks/cars have a petroleum based plastic coating.

A class-action lawsuit was filed in 2016 in California against Toyota claiming the company should cover — under warranty — damage from rodents chewing through insulation for wiring that is now soy-based versus petroleum-based.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2018/05/07/rats-rodents-cars-vehicles/578398002/

Edited by MVI
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1