fourstrokin600

OEM clutch springs for an XR400R?

Anyone have a set of stock clutch springs lying around for an XR400R, 97-up? I believe mine came to me with stiffer aftermarket springs and I like the softer clutch pull of the stock ones (plus I'm pretty easy on my clutch). PM me if ya do! Thanks

Before you go putting softer springs in, tell us if your engine is stock displacement or has it had an oversize kit put in it.

Oversize engine kits often require heavier duty clutch springs to prevent clutch slippage due to the increase torque and power of an overbore.

You can make an adapter to go on the clutch arm that makes it "longer", and thus an easier clutch pull.

I recently replaced my clutch springs with new OEM (the ones that came out were at the service limit), but also added 0.060" shims to stiffen it up some.  I made a clutch arm extender like I mentioned as well.  HOLY SMOKES.  Even with the stiffer spring setup, it is like BUTTER.  It's not as good as the AJP hydraulic clutch on my GasGas, but it's pretty darn good for a cable clutch.

I'll try to post up some pictures tomorrow.  It's absolutely a worthwhile mod.  No downsides.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trailryder42 said:

Before you go putting softer springs in, tell us if your engine is stock displacement or has it had an oversize kit put in it.

Oversize engine kits often require heavier duty clutch springs to prevent clutch slippage due to the increase torque and power of an overbore.

Yup, it's still bone stock 🙂

11 hours ago, sneaky98gt said:

You can make an adapter to go on the clutch arm that makes it "longer", and thus an easier clutch pull.

I recently replaced my clutch springs with new OEM (the ones that came out were at the service limit), but also added 0.060" shims to stiffen it up some.  I made a clutch arm extender like I mentioned as well.  HOLY SMOKES.  Even with the stiffer spring setup, it is like BUTTER.  It's not as good as the AJP hydraulic clutch on my GasGas, but it's pretty darn good for a cable clutch.

I'll try to post up some pictures tomorrow.  It's absolutely a worthwhile mod.  No downsides.

True, I've seen the same done on the 600 too. Good suggestion.