shank

Cell service

Alright just curious, I've been a Verizon customer for a really long time, solely due to their coverage, I've made phone and video calls from the top of Cougar Mt. But I'm trying to cut back costs. So I've been shopping around. I noticed Google has their Google-Fi phone service for as low as $17 a month. And they piggy back off of sprint, T-Mobile and another companies towers. Who out their uses a carrier other then Verizon and how is your service while riding

2 hours ago, shank said:

Alright just curious, I've been a Verizon customer for a really long time, solely due to their coverage, I've made phone and video calls from the top of Cougar Mt. But I'm trying to cut back costs. So I've been shopping around. I noticed Google has their Google-Fi phone service for as low as $17 a month. And they piggy back off of sprint, T-Mobile and another companies towers. Who out their uses a carrier other then Verizon and how is your service while riding

T-Mobile sucks, I know because I have them b/c they are cheap. With TMO expect to lose coverage in all kinds of places you have it now. Think I-90 would have coverage all the way to Ellensburg, think again. Think you can drive on Coal Creek Parkway and not drop while you are "in the hole" 50/50. Your best bet is to find an MVNO (an operator that uses the networks of the big 3/4) that uses the Verizon network. I am not sure who that might be. Tracfone is an example of an MVNO and they use T-Mo and ??? Some could use multiple depending on devices or? I am not really sure, but that is the best way to get Verizon network for less, next I would go AT&T.   

14 minutes ago, Tye Durden said:

T-Mobile sucks, I know because I have them b/c they are cheap. With TMO expect to lose coverage in all kinds of places you have it now. Think I-90 would have coverage all the way to Ellensburg, think again. Think you can drive on Coal Creek Parkway and not drop while you are "in the hole" 50/50. Your best bet is to find an MVNO (an operator that uses the networks of the big 3/4) that uses the Verizon network. I am not sure who that might be. Tracfone is an example of an MVNO and they use T-Mo and ??? Some could use multiple depending on devices or? I am not really sure, but that is the best way to get Verizon network for less, next I would go AT&T.   

I concur with the T-mobile assessment. Coverage sucks. I went to Verizon store to swap service, but the sales guy was so annoying I decided to stick with shitty T-mobile until I could muster the mental energy needed to endure the Verizon store again. 

• Haha 4

I haven't used T-mobile for years but I remember the same thing, 20 miles outside of the I-5 corridor and no coverage. I have Verizon now and the only place I've found where it fizzles out is GPNF (unless I'm above 5000'). I'm lucky because my employer pays for my phone service so I don't complain.

• Like 1

When they say they use some other big company's towers they don't say ALL the towers, and they don't mention how you can be queued into a busy site with a low priority or reduced speed. Most will focus on the main population corridors in the network to grab the most customers, in those places with lots of towers it usually works out fine. You kind of get what you pay for.  One hope for the rural area's is 5g when it comes.

• Like 1

Cricket wireless here. Uses AT&T. I don't really expect that I'll have service unless it's near a gravel road - maybe. Very inexpensive though. Five phones for $100. Used AT&T/Cricket for 14+ years and just now they've really upped their coverage at my house finally.

• Like 2

I have had T-Mobile for years. If the sole purpose of staying in cell coverage areas was my only goal,  I would have never gone anywhere.

I do carry a Spot Messenger for emergency.

Edited by cosmocar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, highmarker said:

When they say they use some other big company's towers they don't say ALL the towers, and they don't mention how you can be queued into a busy site with a low priority or reduced speed. Most will focus on the main population corridors in the network to grab the most customers, in those places with lots of towers it usually works out fine. You kind of get what you pay for.  One hope for the rural area's is 5g when it comes.

FYI on 5G, there are two types and of course marketing is mum on what your "5G" phone has and most (all) current 5g phones have one or the other, not both. Both is coming on phones I just don't recall the article I read (several months now) of when/which models. It's been a while, but if I recall one 5G is good for high density and buildings (this is probably the one that scrambles your atoms :excuseme:), the other is good for long distances. It would suck to make a $500+ mistake thinking you are getting one type of 5g when you wanted the other.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We use US mobile.  Uses Verizon towers and I pay under 20 bucks a month.  Full blown unlimited everything was under 40 by my memory.  We had Twigby which used Sprint towers (And was actually ever so slightly more expensive) but that had crappy coverage anywhere out of the main urban areas around here.

These small sub companies using the big boys’ towers are such a money saver with no real downside that I’ve actually observed but every time I tell someone about the option they just sign another big contract with Verizon et al.  Whatever, it’s their money.

Edited by Wonderspoon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Wonderspoon said:

We use US mobile.  Uses Verizon towers and I pay under 20 bucks a month.  Full blown unlimited everything was under 40 by my memory.  We had Twigby which used Sprint towers (And was actually ever so slightly more expensive) but that had crappy coverage anywhere out of the main urban areas around here.

These small sub companies using the big boys’ towers are such a money saver with no real downside that I’ve actually observed but every time I tell someone about the option they just sign another big contract with Verizon et al.  Whatever, it’s their money.

Do you truly have Verizon's good coverage out in the hills?  The only reason I chose V long ago. Hmmm, US cellular looks way cheaper. 

Joe

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Do you truly have Verizon's good coverage out in the hills?  The only reason I chose V long ago. Hmmm, US cellular looks way cheaper. 

Joe

Out here I get the same as my buddies with Verizon nearest I can tell.  I don’t compare consistently, but it’s been the same any time it’s come up.  Of course it’s spotty no matter which service.  

FYI we have US mobile not US cellular.  

Edited by Wonderspoon
  • Like 1

The only time you need to "sign a contract" is for the convenience of leasing a phone for an outrageous amount. Just buy a newer fancy phone with a warranty off ebay for $150.

Really happy with XFINITY, uses Verizon towers. Wasn’t a fan of T-Mobile or Sprint. Never shelled out for Verizon. Customer service is lacking but that’s a lost art.

1 hour ago, 8675309 said:

The only time you need to "sign a contract" is for the convenience of leasing a phone for an outrageous amount. Just buy a newer fancy phone with a warranty off ebay for $150.

You pay for phones?  This proletariat just inherits old phones that people don’t want anymore.

what about cell tower inventory,i mean is the number of 4g towers up to 3g? and how long will it take for 5g towers to be everywhere? 

1 hour ago, mattwave said:

Really happy with XFINITY, uses Verizon towers. Wasn’t a fan of T-Mobile or Sprint. Never shelled out for Verizon. Customer service is lacking but that’s a lost art.

does it work everywhere Verizon works? That's the big deal I heard. Verizon built out their rural network before regulation halted the others from providing coverage out there. Now they gotta market advantage they're leveraging.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, campdirt said:

what about cell tower inventory,i mean is the number of 4g towers up to 3g? and how long will it take for 5g towers to be everywhere? 

COVID 19 is a carrier for 5G. It's dependent upon higher infection rates though. Maybe by Thanksgiving it'll be common place! :banana:

• Haha 1