04 honda crf250r

So i gotta a 04 honda crf250r and its blewn up on me but im rebuilding it i got a already got a hot rods bottom end kit the casing went when it blew up so i got new casing too new piston and cylinder too cam chain everything on the motor and clutch sides all brand new and im getting an 09 oem head with ape stainless steel valves and springs i keep hearing 04 and 05 were "years of disaster" its a little to late to just buy a different bike cause ive already put too much money into it to back out already my question is.... have i fixed its problems why there such disaster ? I know valves adjustments every ten hours and its alot of maintenance but will it last me a while? i dont race but i like faster bikes and to go fast 

Mostly problems with these bikes were the trust bearings on the cranks and the Titanium valves. Since I’m assuming you have anew crank you should be good on the trust bearings. For valves the “fix” is to go with kibblewhite or any brand stainless steel valves and springs. The downfall of having the titanium valves is that you just need to adjust them a lot. Stick to 10 hours valve adjustment frequent oil changes. Once you get used to the valves adjustment you can do them in 10 minutes, seriously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willmud743 said:

Mostly problems with these bikes were the trust bearings on the cranks and the Titanium valves. Since I’m assuming you have anew crank you should be good on the trust bearings. For valves the “fix” is to go with kibblewhite or any brand stainless steel valves and springs. The downfall of having the titanium valves is that you just need to adjust them a lot. Stick to 10 hours valve adjustment frequent oil changes. Once you get used to the valves adjustment you can do them in 10 minutes, seriously.

Thanks for the i appreciate the advice its my first time owning a high performance 4 stroke bike the kit did come with the crank bearing and ill get stainless steel vavles and springs ive also heard bronze seats help alot too 

18 minutes ago, Cody Izer said:

Thanks for the i appreciate the advice its my first time owning a high performance 4 stroke bike the kit did come with the crank bearing and ill get stainless steel vavles and springs ive also heard bronze seats help alot too 

Honestly a lot of these bikes get a bad rap but I think it’s due to poor maintenance. And lack of caring about their bikes. I’ve owned 2 crf250rs and put 200+ on both and I’m about +250 hours in my 2016 yz250f and I’ve never had any major catastrophes, BUT I never lack on the maintenance. Air filter ever ride, oil change ever 5 hours, valves adjustment ever 20, piston and crank at 100, and grease my bearing and clean fork seals when I get the chance. Don’t skip on stuff, keep track of all the odds and ends and you’ll be fine. 

One thing you should never do on these crfs is skip the air filter cleaning. It’s direct cause in frequent valve adjustment. 

• Like 1

I would not use HotRods right side crank seal, get a Honda OEM seal.  Otherwise, check water pump seals, inspect oil pump for scarring, inspect water pump impeller shaft and seals for wear.. Make sure the little nozzle that sprays oil up to the bottom of the piston is clean.  Oh yea, the bearings that the drive shaft (the one that the drive sprocket is on) like to get grindy because of overtightened chain, so check if those are smooth on both sides.

Also note 09 head has different exhaust valves compared to 04-06 I think or maybe 04-07, different stem diameter so you'll need different valve seals, retainers etc.

Edited by dakh

Thanks for all the help guys i got a hour meter to help me keep track of it all and service manual when i got the bike it had the hard start problem so bad i could barely get it to kick over and didnt do my research before jumping on it so i didnt know it was a clearance problem and after 15 mins of buying it, it blew up in my face.... the guy i bought it from did no maintenance to it mold air filter and stuff but im gunna keep her right and hopefully shell treat me right back ill let yall know after it all said and done and got some hours on it 

• Like 1

It's a great feeling to know exactly what's in your bike because you put that together yourself.  It might not be financially optimal but the experience is worth it.  Good luck!

you are getting a lot of great advice.  As stated - maintenance is the key!  also use good quality oil and filters.  I would suggest to replace the oil after every ride, same with the oil filter and clean/service the airfilter also.  I have always used the amsoil in my bikes with great results for the engine side and the honda HP transmission oil on the other side.  by changing oil frequently, you can see how the engine is wearing and any issues. 

while the bike is down, clean and grease all the bearings.  grease the caliper slide pins also.  clean the carb and inspect.

55 minutes ago, JJRace said:

you are getting a lot of great advice.  As stated - maintenance is the key!  also use good quality oil and filters.  I would suggest to replace the oil after every ride, same with the oil filter and clean/service the airfilter also.  I have always used the amsoil in my bikes with great results for the engine side and the honda HP transmission oil on the other side.  by changing oil frequently, you can see how the engine is wearing and any issues. 

while the bike is down, clean and grease all the bearings.  grease the caliper slide pins also.  clean the carb and inspect.

Do you use regular oil semi synthetic or full synthetic? i bought some maxima break in oil and semi synthetic for regular oil then the hp honda transmission oil but i hear your not expose to use an synthetic till your bikes fully broken in 

Considering that I ride an 04 without any major issues, I don’t think they’re necessarily “years of disaster”. But it comes down to maintenance, upkeep and maybe even a little luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cody Izer said:

Do you use regular oil semi synthetic or full synthetic? i bought some maxima break in oil and semi synthetic for regular oil then the hp honda transmission oil but i hear your not expose to use an synthetic till your bikes fully broken in 

The whole synthetic vs conventional oil is largely up for debate in dirt bikes. Since you change the oil so frequently, you never truly get the benefit of the synthetic oil (that being longer oil life). A lot of people run both. Whatever oil QUALITY oil you can find will be the best bet. Napa should carry the 10w40 Amsoil motorcycle oil, that’s all I run in all my bikes.

Post some pictures of this bike when you get it finished.

Hey guys ive got my 04 crf250r back together itll start after maybe 10 kicks when i cleaned the carb it looks like some one messed with it but itll idle it rev when it idles but when i ride it itll bog out the fuel mixture screw feel out before it blow up ive been tweeking with it and it just seems to be the same the bikes got a .9 hours im trying to finish breaking it in but it i can get it past a quarter throttle with it it boging helpppp me please guys new carb, maybe acculturater pump? 

received_307367270582119.jpeg

So I used a google "millennial" translator.....  I think this is what Cody is saying/asking... 

Hey guys I have got my 04 crf250r back together.
It will start after maybe 10 kicks.
When I cleaned the carb it looks like some one messed with it.
It will idle but it revs.
When I ride it It will bog out.
The fuel mixture screw fell out before.  It fell out before it originally blew up.
I have been adjusting the fuel mixture screw and it just seems to be the same.
The bike has .9 hours of run time since the rebuild.
I am trying to finish breaking it in but it i can get it past a quarter throttle with out it it bogging.
Help me please guys.  I don't know what is wrong.
Should I get a new carb, maybe accelerator pump? 

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

1. download the service manual

2. flip to the section about the carburetor

3. read

4. reread the same section

5. now apply knowledge gained and rebuild the carb.  measure all parts to make sure within specs giving in the manual.  Clean the carb and blow though all passages in the carb body and bowl.  Reassemble and tune

If none of that works, I would highly suggest to seek professional help.

Got my bike finished about 4 hours I got my carbs finished and I got about 3 hours on it. It runs great now when I get it start dose any one else have troubles getting there bike started it's real particular but start after 4-8 kicks but idk if the mechanic set the fuel mixture the guy who did my carb says it's just cause it's carburetored..it's my first time owning a crf but my 04 250r only really pulls when I crack it open it pulls has alot of top end but nothing down low normal I take it for a 250r?