Looking for ideas on a replacement front tire for my Honda CRF 250L. I've been using Dunlop D606s front and rear and have been happy with how they ride. The front tire wears much quicker than the rear. I'm getting about 2,000 miles out of the front and 3,000 out of the rear. The front also wears in an unusual manner. The knobs become kind of slanted. My riding is about 50/50 street to forest service roads. Thanks for any ideas.

2,000 miles out of a front is very unusual.  Do you do a lot of high speed stoppies? 🙂

Do you run the air pressure very very low for some reason? 

I suggest trying an IRC TR8 Battle Rally front.  I run them, and have 4000 miles on them.  The front has another 4000 left, and the rear is pretty worn for any dirt, but fine for the street still.  They are often compared to the D606 series. 

No stoppies and I run 20 psi in both the front and rear.  This is the 2nd tire I have experienced this issue with.  Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CSMRich said:

No stoppies and I run 20 psi in both the front and rear.  This is the 2nd tire I have experienced this issue with.  Thanks for the suggestion!

I've got 606's and my front does the same. I however, know why, too low pressures (they're supposed to run closer to or above 30 on the street and I often can't be arsed to air back up after a dirt ride) and I brake way too hard on the front. that's what causes the ramping. higher pressures and a little less pull on the front brake will make a difference.

I'm having trouble finding a tire in the stock size of 120/80-18, especially one meant for 10/90 riding. I see the D606 is pretty popular, so I assume a 120/90-18 doesn't have any fitment issues? 

Any other recommendations? 

3 hours ago, PoweredBySoy said:

I'm having trouble finding a tire in the stock size of 120/80-18, especially one meant for 10/90 riding. I see the D606 is pretty popular, so I assume a 120/90-18 doesn't have any fitment issues? 

I normally run 100/100-18's...but with the Kenda Trakmaster I can easily run the 110/100-18

Tire pressure when changing from OEM tires is a question I have also (assuming street riding).  Should one always start off with the recommended tire pressure from the motorcycle manufacturer?  In our case 22 psi front and rear with no passenger.  The max tire pressure on the tire is usually higher.  I have wondered when changing tires if you put a tire on that has a higher max pressure than the OEM tires if you should bump up the pressure in the new tires.  I.E., is the new tire designed to run with a higher pressure because the max pressure is higher?  Any rules of thumb?  Thanks!

• Helpful 1

max tire pressure is....max (obviously it's not the true max, they pad it for safety, but it's the max recommended). you shouldn't be running at max tire pressure constantly.

if it's a road day i typically run 26/28 (front/rear) because offset tire pressures is a dirt habit. if it's a dirt day i might drop to 17/19 but i don't always.

knobbies like 606 or the tusk dsports (my current tire) CAN ramp some on the front if the pressure is too low on the street (my 606's certainly did) and you brake aggressively with the front. you can counteract this some with higher pressures, but....it's a dual sport, you're supposed to be able to jump from the highway to dirt without any fuss...if you've got 30 psi in that front tire and you transition directly to loose gravel, you're gonna have a bad time. 

22 hours ago, PoweredBySoy said:

looked back through my RMATV orders, i had the 120/90 x 18 D606 rear the last time i bought them. 

before that i had the Motoz Tractionator IT's in the same size, but the lugs are MUCH taller. probably raised the bike 2 inches from stock. if you're doing 90% off road, and it's loose to medium pack, with rocks, mud, maybe sand....the tractionators are like a teenager at the prom, they cannot WAIT to hook up. SERIOUSLY impressive tire off road.

they're not HORRIFIC on road if you're experienced, but when i had them on my bike i was still learning how to drive on the road and they felt like riding a bag of snakes. the side knobs tend to wander a bit on road especially in tighter turns.

• Like 1

What do you mean by "ramp" on the front?  Do the front knobs sorta stay put where they touch the ground and the bike keeps going forward a bit so the knobs are tilting?  I never thought of that but I could see that???

I'm still thinking about Shinko 705s for me (at least at first) as I will be doing mostly street riding at first.  They are 70/30 on/off road.  The max pressure is 41 psi.  Would you still run 22/22 like Honda calls for for street use?  That's about 1/2 of the max pressure.  I wonder if these tires want higher psi because their max pressure is higher than the OEMs?

Edited by robert44

Yeah, ramping is when the front edge wears more so the knobs look like a ramp

Max pressure is more about construction and capabilities than performance.  If the carcass is soft, then anything but high pressure will feel weird. With a stiff enough carcass you might not notice the tire is flat

Run what feels most comfortable in any situation and keep your eye on wear

Edited by Crapflinger