Is My SXF 250 Timing Chain Tensioner Working Correctly?

Hi all, 

After a quick bit of advice, just installed a new genuine timing chain tensioner to my SXF 250 and noticed that when turning the engine over by hand the tensioner actually moves in and out, is this suppose to happen?

Ive attached a link to a YouTube video showing what’s happening, please excuse the shakey video

Cheers 

• Helpful 1

I can't say for sure on yours as I am familiar with the 450's, however, I would say this is normal because the OEM tensioners use oil pressure to push them out so without the oil pressure behind it, it will move in and out. That's the benefit of the aftermarket tensioner's like Dirt Tricks, they have a built in ratchet mechanism so once they extend out the ratchet device holds it in that position, in other words they can only tighten and will not loosen off when oil pressure goes away. With a stock one once you shut the motor off they can retract and you get a cam chain rattle when you start up until the engine builds oil pressure and it pushes the tensioner back out.

Man I don’t know.  Tensioner is usually locked in place.  Is that a old cam chain that may have kinks in it?

After doing a bit more research and speaking to a few people I believe the tensioner is working as intended and will remained tensioned once the engine is running and built up enough oil pressure, however I don’t trust this so have now swapped to a manual tensioner until I can get hold of a Dirt Tricks tensioner 

Thanks for the replies 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aja93 said:

After doing a bit more research and speaking to a few people I believe the tensioner is working as intended and will remained tensioned once the engine is running and built up enough oil pressure, however I don’t trust this so have now swapped to a manual tensioner until I can get hold of a Dirt Tricks tensioner 

Thanks for the replies 

I don’t even trust them when new. I run manual tensioners on all of my 4 strokes. Always have. You made the right decision IMHO. 

• Like 1