XR650R Oil filtration question on the 650R

Just had a quick question that will hopefully be answered with an answer that will easy my mind a bit...so I'm doing an oil change and I've got the funnel in the upper frame filler neck and im pouring in the oil...and as im pouring I notice something fall off the bottle and go down the funnel before I could stop pouring.  To me it looked like a small piece of dirt that fell off the neck of the bottle of oil I had sitting in the garage.  Not big but a darker color than the oil going down so I saw it.  Small speck but that shit bothers me!

My question is does the oil that's in the frame go through the filter before it hits anything important?  I'm hoping whatever it is got filtered out before it made its way to any vital parts.  

Thank you!

29 minutes ago, mjf6866 said:

Just had a quick question that will hopefully be answered with an answer that will easy my mind a bit...so I'm doing an oil change and I've got the funnel in the upper frame filler neck and im pouring in the oil...and as im pouring I notice something fall off the bottle and go down the funnel before I could stop pouring.  To me it looked like a small piece of dirt that fell off the neck of the bottle of oil I had sitting in the garage.  Not big but a darker color than the oil going down so I saw it.  Small speck but that shit bothers me!

My question is does the oil that's in the frame go through the filter before it hits anything important?  I'm hoping whatever it is got filtered out before it made its way to any vital parts.  

Thank you!

The oil that goes in the frame passess directly through the motor, after it passes trough the motor, it is filtered. 

Thanks.  This may have answered my question.  I could have sworn I saw a diagram of oil flow direction somewhere before.  Looks like it sucks it in through the bottom first hitting the strainer at the bottom of the frame then up through the filter itself then splits off between the bottom and top end....someone correct me if I'm looking at this wrong.

IMG_3777.PNG

Edited by mjf6866

There is also a strainer in the bottom of the frame downtube where the oil line comes out (the black rectangle at the bottom of the downtube in your picture above).  You may want to drain the oil, then remove the strainer.  If the debris stayed in one piece it should be on the strainer, or at that point you can spray some cleaner in the downtube (from the top) to flush it out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, eastreich said:

There is also a strainer in the bottom of the frame downtube where the oil line comes out (the black rectangle at the bottom of the downtube in your picture above).  You may want to drain the oil, then remove the strainer.  If the debris stayed in one piece it should be on the strainer, or at that point you can spray some cleaner in the downtube (from the top) to flush it out.

Thanks.  Wonder if it would be worth draining just the frame and checking.  I did ride the bike after the change yesterday because I figured either the strainer or the filter would have grabbed it.  

Ended up taking the lower frame screen out and finding the black speck that went into the funnel as I was filling it....it was a small fly lol.  The little guy was on the screen along with some other pieces of debris.  The screen works!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1