Can anyone point me to a DIY seat foam/seat upgrade thread

Looking to try to redo my seat DIY to be wider and more comfortable, but use the original cover and seat pan and maybe add some additional marine vinyl to the cover on the sides to gain the width. Somebody must have done it. Tried searching but to no avail. Any help finding a thread would be appreciated.

I just had a go. It's pretty easy to get the seat cover and foam off, and so it is reversible if you need it. I wouldn't try to modify the cover if I were you. Instead, buy a cheap aftermarket seat cover from eBay and use that.

My approach was to put layers of whatever I had to hand on the base: automotive carpet (because I could feel the bumps in the base otherwise), then some fibrous insulation (came out of a dishwasher of all things, I think it is cotton based), then two layers of 1.5 inch soft foam, cut to shape. It's quite tight but squishes down a fair bit when you sit on it. You need a staple gun to reattach the cover and you should use short staples as are used by Suzuki.

I've not ridden with this yet as I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild but I will report back on it once I'm back on the road. If it's crappy I can easily revert to the stock seat.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. It was indeed crappy, due to the foam I used being too soft. Even with a bit of carpet as a base layer I could still feel the shape of the seat base. I refitted the standard foam, much better but rock hard as usual. Seat Concepts for me I think.