ODI lock on grips

Trying to install these with the DRZ400 specific cam and I just can’t the throttle to function properly, it binds and won’t return. The cam is slightly different than stock side by side but I can’t tell where it’s binding. Cleaned/lined everything...no luck. Works fine with stock grip/tube. Anyone else run into this issue and find a solution? 

Just installed mine some three weeks ago, used the cam the grips come stock with, not the drz cam but it dragged too.

Cleaned the housing, ran a sharp pick around the inside edges of the groove.

Rounded off the outer edges of the cam, the section where the cable ends hook to with a file and emery cloth.

Turns and returns smooth now.

• Helpful 2

Had this issue as well, contacted ODI and they said to try the "J" cam. It may fit better and has a quicker turn ratio. I have Pro Taper Contour CR High bars and ran into another problem with the ODI lock on grips. The clutch side tube does not fit this bar without grinding off the knurls on that side of the bar. I never tried the "J" cam, just put the OEM's back on for now. May give it another try the next time I have the bike apart or try another bar without the knurling on the clutch side.  

• Helpful 1

I spoke with ODI yesterday and they said that they had tons of “fitment”issues with the I cam so it was discontinued. They are evidently redesigning a cam for the DRZ that will be available in 2-3 months. Im probably just going to leave the stock one on till I can get the right cam or just put a similar MX style ODI grip on a throttle tube for now so they match up. Thanks for all the input 

I had the same issue with the cam for a CRF250R. I spoke to a tech at RMATVMC and he told me that a lot of CRF users had the same issue and that it was a common problem. I believe it was the A or B cam, can’t remember which. Switched to the J cam and it works fine. Other than that, I love the V2 soft grips!

• Helpful 1

I used the cam that comes mounted on the grip, it's larger than stock which gives you a quicker and shorter twist.

I like the sharper response at the slightest twist of the throttle, took me 1/2 of one ride to get used to it.

Did it rotate freely in the housing? I’m finding I can’t get these cams to rotate freely without it binding 

No, like I said you need to take some sandpaper or file and slightly clearance the cam wherever it drags against the housing.

Pretty simple, took me less than 5 minutes to get it where turns smoothly.

• Helpful 1