What used dirt bike should I buy my son?

My son is 13 and I don't know what size bike to get him. He is aggressive when it comes to riding off road. He is five feet tall and is consistently growing at the time. And has never had a dirt bike before. 

How do you know he's aggressive riding off road if he's never had a dirtbike?  Just get him something he can learn basic clutch and throttle control and go from there. Crf150f,  cheap ,reliable and get your money back after he's done. 

Edited by Edgecombe
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Peter Read said:

My son is 13 and I don't know what size bike to get him. He is aggressive when it comes to riding off road. He is five feet tall and is consistently growing at the time. And has never had a dirt bike before. 

A 125 two stroke. Its cheap to own, cheap to run, and it wont give you a stroke.image.png.a4454fec895aeeb146d9ea7321008e0d.pngimage.png.079c96e9e65e4cd958ff2ca69dcf716e.pngimage.png.a8998b519aeb12d909da0195f37ece7b.pngimage.png.d96996d058db4e2f57e1c761951b8afd.png

This test used to be easy. 

"Son, if you can start it, you can ride it."

Now, with push button starting, that's out the window.

Does the "aggressive" 13 year old have ANY previous moto experience? 

"Aggressive" can work for you, or AGAINST you. Gear up the lad, big time. 

I meant like he has a side by side and a quad and he is aggressive. i thought a 100 or a 150 would fit good???

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peter Read said:

I meant like he has a side by side and a quad and he is aggressive. i thought a 100 or a 150 would fit good???

With dirtbikes, there is a big difference in performance depending on the category of dirtbike that you choose.  For example, when you generically say 100 or 150, there are several models with a huge variance in performance between them.  For example:

• Kawasaki KX100 = 2 stroke motocross racing bike with 19"/16" wheels and about 29 hp...all at the top of the revs.  Close ratio transmission (not great for trail riding)
  • Honda CRF150R/CRF150RB = 4 stroke motocross bike with either 17"/14" wheels or 19/16" wheels.  Basically the competitor to the KX100 but in 4 stroke version.
  • KTM 150 SX/XC/XC-W = KTM's full size motocross/cross country/enduro (respectively) 2 stroke bikes with 21/18" wheels and 38" seat height.  All built for different purposes with various tradeoffs between the features.  Probably in the 35-40 hp range.
  • Husky TC/TX/TE 150 = Husky's equivalent to the KTMs mentioned above - just different colors but made/owned by KTM.
  • CRF100F = Honda aircooled 4 stroke trail bike, 19"/16" wheels.  Kick start only.  Maybe 10 hp.  Wide ratio transmission .
  • CRF150F = Honda aircooled 4 stroke trail bike, 19"/16" wheels; elec start 2006+, 13-15 hp.  Wide ratio transmission.

Now for your son, given that he is 5 feet tall (assuming 5' 0") and has never ridden a dirt bike, I would suggest starting with the aircooled 4 stroke trail bikes.  You might try him on some different models, as he is probably right between the 17"/14"  and 19"/16"  or "L" or "B" wheeled models designating larger or bigger wheel.  You want him to be able to flatfoot on level ground. 

You might look at:

• Honda CRF80F
  • Honda CRF100F
  • Honda CRF125F
  • Honda CRF125FB
  • Honda CRF150F
  • Kawasaki KLX140
  • Kawasaki KLX140L
  • Yamaha TTR-125
  • Yamaha TTR-125LE
  • Suzuki DRZ-125
  • Suzuki DRZ-125L

At his size, there aren't a whole lot of performance offroad bikes to choose from....just very high performance MX bikes and aircooled 4 stroke trail bikes.  Even if he is aggressive, I would start him out on the aircooled trail bikes where he can learn clutching, shifting, braking, and improve his riding skills. When is is outriding the motor, suspension and brakes, its is time to move him up to a bigger, more performance oriented bike.

Edited by SilvFx
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SilvFx said:

At his size, there aren't a whole lot of performance offroad bikes to choose from....just very high performance MX bikes and aircooled 4 stroke trail bikes.  Even if he is aggressive, I would start him out on the aircooled trail bikes where he can learn clutching, shifting, braking, and improve his riding skills. When is is outriding the motor, suspension and brakes, its is time to move him up to a bigger, more performance oriented bike.

^ Perfect quote explaining in detail for what bike.

He will learn very quickly of body positing if he tries to ride beyond his talent. I would advice you to get him boots,helmet and a chest protector. This way he would be more secure even if he's a bit wreckless at first. 

Riding dirtbike aggresive can take years to master. I would agree with others but since he could be growing fast then a 230 is like a full size 150f. Maybe you could consider that one too. 

On 7/4/2020 at 8:49 AM, Edgecombe said:

How do you know he's aggressive riding off road if he's never had a dirtbike?  Just get him something he can learn basic clutch and throttle control and go from there. Crf150f,  cheap ,reliable and get your money back after he's done. 

I just let a 6’ tall 20 year old beginner ride my daughters crf150f..... he loved it .... perfect size for inspiring confidence.

• Like 1