Yz80 - loose cog

Hi all. I'm a yz250f rider which I rebuilt fully. Now, my girlfriend wants to get into off-road bikes so I bought her a very run down old YZ80 (year unknown but assumed 1993-2001).

I looked at the clutch and noticed that (as well as having an arm snapped off the clutch basket) the cog which connects to the cog on the rear of the basket, is wobbly. It feels like there should be a washer of sorts behind it (inbetween the case bearing and the cog). But I'm having trouble clarifying this. Any of you YZ80 owners able to help? Is it always wobbly or should it have a spacer etc behind/in front of it? 

IMG_20200704_183057.jpg

You mean the idler gear is wobbly? Its probably worn out the inner brass bushing.  

8 hours ago, Motox367 said:

You mean the idler gear is wobbly? Its probably worn out the inner brass bushing.  

If that is the idler gear then yes :). Am I right in thinking this is the idler gear (attached diagram)? If so, where is the brass bushing? The actual shaft is fine, it's just the idler cog that's loose. It sits on the splines perfectly, it's just like it can be wiggled. Easiest way to explain it is that you can move it up and down the splines about 1-2mm rather than it being flush against the shaft's retaining circlip. As though there should be a washer behind the cog. The only thing from the diagram (if what I think is the idler gear is right) that is missing is the oil seal in-between the cog and the bearing. There doesn't seem to be a washer/spacer in the diagram. However, I'm not sure of that is even the right cog/shaft in the diagram (I hate transmission parts)!

Thanks so much in advance. 

IMG_20200705_080512.jpg

Ooh! Or is this the right cog?!?! That might mate more sense (listed under the 'starter' diagram. That would show two washers (labeled 9 in the photo) which mine does not have and would explain the cogs ability to move up and down the shaft more than I think it should?

Idler gera isn't in that photo that is trans and you're pointing to counter shaft sprocket.  

• Like 1