Can't Seat Fork Seal

First time installing new fork seals. For the life of me, I can't get the new seal seated. I don't have a seal driver, so I've tried the two methods that YouTube suggests: 1) electrical tape and 2) using the old seal. Neither working. The new seal has gone into the tube some, but not enough for me to get the dust seal firmly plugged in. Frankly I think I've probably busted the new seal by banging on it too hard at this point. But does anyone have any suggestions (besides "buy a seal driver, you cheap bastard", because today is July 4 and I can't buy one and I wanna ride tomorrow!)?  

Talking about a WR250R.  Thanks for any help.

14 minutes ago, Smackdab44 said:

First time installing new fork seals. For the life of me, I can't get the new seal seated. I don't have a seal driver, so I've tried the two methods that YouTube suggests: 1) electrical tape and 2) using the old seal. Neither working. The new seal has gone into the tube some, but not enough for me to get the dust seal firmly plugged in. Frankly I think I've probably busted the new seal by banging on it too hard at this point. But does anyone have any suggestions (besides "buy a seal driver, you cheap bastard", because today is July 4 and I can't buy one and I wanna ride tomorrow!)?  

Talking about a WR250R.  Thanks for any help.

buy a seal driver. 😀

...or a piece of PVC tubing slightly larger id than the fork tube OD.

Cut a short section into quarters. Throw one away.

Put the other three pieces on the fork tube, line up the bottoms and hold in place with a hose clamp.

Slide the tube like a slide hammer to hammer the seal.

buy a seal driver. 😀

• Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

buy a seal driver. 😀

...or a piece of PVC tubing slightly larger id than the fork tube OD.

Cut a short section into quarters. Throw one away.

Put the other three pieces on the fork tube, line up the bottoms and hold in place with a hose clamp.

Slide the tube like a slide hammer to hammer the seal.

buy a seal driver. 😀

So wait, should I buy a seal driver?  😉

Somebody suggested a pipe tee, like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-1-2-in-x-1-2-in-x-1-2-in-x-1-2-in-dia-Tee-PVC-Fitting/3371608?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-rpe-_-google-_-lia-_-142-_-pressurepipeandfittings-_-3371608-_-0&store_code=1078&placeholder=null&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0YD4BRD2ARIsAHwmKVkio-uUQ6lO9H-s45OEkh2FrbVijBInn1P8ijBfsO9fWyWmEQ3qox8aAl9REALw_wcB

But if I used that, to get it off I'd have to separate the top and bottom tubes after I seated the seal. Is that ok?  Would I need to remove the clip, or could I just yank the tubes apart?  Sorry for the noob questions. 

4 minutes ago, Smackdab44 said:

So wait, should I buy a seal driver?  😉

Somebody suggested a pipe tee, like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LASCO-1-2-in-x-1-2-in-x-1-2-in-x-1-2-in-dia-Tee-PVC-Fitting/3371608?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-rpe-_-google-_-lia-_-142-_-pressurepipeandfittings-_-3371608-_-0&store_code=1078&placeholder=null&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0YD4BRD2ARIsAHwmKVkio-uUQ6lO9H-s45OEkh2FrbVijBInn1P8ijBfsO9fWyWmEQ3qox8aAl9REALw_wcB

But if I used that, to get it off I'd have to separate the top and bottom tubes after I seated the seal. Is that ok?  Would I need to remove the clip, or could I just yank the tubes apart?  Sorry for the noob questions. 

yep...need to take the tool apart to get it off.

if you yank the tubes apart, the seals come out.

Yes. You need to remove the clip. Since you’re inexperienced, please view some of the good YouTube videos on this. Disregard those saying to use sharp metal tools to pound anything in place. Clamping PVC to the chrome slider as SlowDinoDog suggests and using the slider as a jack hammer is safe and effective.

Edited by motrock93b

6 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

yep...need to take the tool apart to get it off.

if you yank the tubes apart, the seals come out.

Yeah, that's what I thought. So that pipe tee really isn't going to work, unless it somehow splits, which seems pretty unlikely. 

Just now, Smackdab44 said:

Yeah, that's what I thought. So that pipe tee really isn't going to work, unless it somehow splits, which seems pretty unlikely. 

maybe, the guy meant for you to cut it into sections?

I've used the PVC/hose clamp method on a few different forks...but, my '88 CR250 has a tight bushing and I could not get it in until I bought a Tusk driver.

What year wr? If it has sss forks there is a spot on the inner tube that tapers down to a smaller diameter. If you have that spot in line with the seal it makes it easier to push it in. I always use an old seal that I cut in half.

OP here. Just thought I'd update this thread to note that the problem was one of the bushings - the one that slides, as opposed to the one that fits inside the ring on the tube and is stationary. The sliding bushing must have been stuck somehow. When I separated the upper and lower tubes, moved the bushing around, then tried again (using PVC pipe method) everything worked fine. 

• Like 1