Brand new DRZ400 owner

Good morning, 

I'm the proud, happy, new papa of a 2020 DR-Z400S. This bike is a LOT of fun, it's not nearly as "buzzy" going down the highway as I thought it would be, it has a lot more low end torque than I expected, I'm no longer certain that I need a tach, it has "startling" on-road acceleration, it has 11.3 compression and I was told it'll run fine on regular gas, and I now know why people call the Trail Wing tires "Death Wings." No, I didn't go down but it was close. Anyway, I just wanted to jump in and say "Hi" to the group. 

After the next ride, 

Joe B  

• Like 4

Well done good choice!. 

There are selected cost effective modifications that you can do further down the track to enhance the performance even more.  Have a good search around the FAQ.

--> Gary - My first dual-sport was a KLR600 way back in the day. Great bike but too heavy for a noob like me. My next bike was a DT175 that had the cylinder and piston in a bucket. I gave my friend $100 for it, took the cylinder to the shop to have it cleaned up, bought a new piston and I put it all back together. I bought an '01 KLR250 about five years ago and it's just too tired. A 650 was too big and a 250 was too small so I went with my DRZ. I love it. 

--> Roley - I'm not a rip roaring biker so I may not need many performance enhancements. I will keep my eyes and maybe even my mind open... 

Thanks,

Joe B 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbruyet said:

--> Gary - My first dual-sport was a KLR600 way back in the day. Great bike but too heavy for a noob like me. My next bike was a DT175 that had the cylinder and piston in a bucket. I gave my friend $100 for it, took the cylinder to the shop to have it cleaned up, bought a new piston and I put it all back together. I bought an '01 KLR250 about five years ago and it's just too tired. A 650 was too big and a 250 was too small so I went with my DRZ. I love it. 

--> Roley - I'm not a rip roaring biker so I may not need many performance enhancements. I will keep my eyes and maybe even my mind open... 

Thanks,

Joe B 

Joe,

The first bit of horsepower is free (well cost effective).  To understand this the DRZ400-E in other parts of the world is shipped with a 3x3 hole in the airbox and bigger carb and is a more powerfull bike as standard.  While the carb is optional (and costly) the 3x3 hole and a few jets for the BSR carb you have already really livens the bike up to be closer to what the original design spec was meant to be. Anyway all good if your not interested at the moment.  This can always be done down the track.

• Like 1

Always use the best gas available.

Low octane gas has caused main bearing failure on some bikes I have seen.

Welcome and enjoy!  

I picked my 2006 w/3k miles up about 2 months ago.  It had a couple of farkles on it seems like i've been modding more than riding.. lol

Tires def would be a first look, depending on the type a good 50/50 tire would be a good consideration.  I currently have D606, which more off road orientated on the back and boy it's NOISeY on the road, howls like a monkey.  I don't do single track, yet, just travel local forest service roads so I picked up a TKC for the back to put on once the 606 is put to bed.  Another thing to consider is to check your suspension and sag to see if the stock spring(s) are the right ones for you. FWIW I'm 195 and had screwed the rear adjusters to the spec limit and it was good but was worried that I didn't then have any available adjustment for adding bags/traveling.

I had a KTM950 (Baja Vet) and KLR685 (bored with suspension) and really liked both, but as you mention the KLR was heavy and the KTM was a blast but I spent way too much time fixing it.  I'm hoping that the DRZ can cover what both of these did.  So far, so good. 

Enjoy it, ride safe!

5 hours ago, PNWDRZ said:

Welcome and enjoy!  

I picked my 2006 w/3k miles up about 2 months ago.  It had a couple of farkles on it seems like i've been modding more than riding.. lol

Ahh Moditis. DEFINITION : A disease associated with owning a DRZ400 causing the overwhelming desire to install shiny bits on your DRZ in the hope of improving both looks and performance. SIDE EFFECTS: May cause you to become closer to your bike at the peril of friction from your significant other; The draining of ones bank balance purchasing shiny parts.

• Haha 1

--> RoleyRev, I may check into that down the road. For how I foresee I'm going to be using my DRZ I don't need any more power BUT, if my perspective changes so will my power needs. 

--> Tony Wyp, ethanol-free premium is all I use in my bikes. And my car. LOL, and my lawn mower. 

--> PNWDRZ, 1) I've already been looking at tires and I've decided on the Pirelli MT21 for the front but I'm still looking/thinking/wondering about the rear. Maybe a Shinko 244... 2) Checking sag is also on the list. I'm not as svelte as I used to be but, per the doctors "suggestion" I've been losing weight. I plan to drop still more weight and then it'll be time to check the sag. 3) I see PNW in your alias. Devil's Gulch is in my back yard. Are you close? 

Thanks, 

Joe B 

Good.So you do know.Non-ethanol fuel is best whenever you can get it.Will give you fewest problems with the carburetor innards.

If you ever find yourself in the future needing more power the base DRZ motor has a lot of potential to get more even before going to a big bore or stroker.There's lots of support for it.

12:1 CR will need 91 octane, 87 is fine for a stock DRZ with a 3 layer base gasket.