drz400 stock exhaust diagnosis and used replacement

Hi everyone. I recently found myself a '03 KLX400 with only 1200 miles, so I snached it up. The guy I purchased it from was the second owner, and he said the original owner did some mods to the stock silencer. I want to make it as quiet as possible which, I believe, means returning it to stock condition. I pulled the tip and it looks different from the photos that I've seen of an OEM tip. I'm not sure what the inside of the silencer should look like, so I took some pictures hoping you guys could tell me if it's been butchered. I'm trying to determine if I just need the tip or a whole silencer. Also, Ebay seems high for a used OEM silencer (about 150 bucks). Hopefully someone reading this has what I need and is willing to part for a nice price. 

IMG_20200705_182438.jpg

IMG_20200705_1730431.jpg

IMG_20200705_182431.jpg

OEM tip is the same as the LTZ quad and it is available as a part (gasket too).

OP - Inside of your muffler looks stock. BTW, put an ad in the TT classifieds you are looking for a OEM complete system. Plenty of near new ones in peoiple garages I bet.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

You can fix this for nothing.

How big is the exit hole in your muffler cap?

A photo will help...

Make the hole smaller and it will be quieter.

You could also squeeze the end of the baffle closed. This will quieten it.

You could then fill the muffler with fibreglass packing.

Thats all the things I have done in the past at one time or another.

You dont need to waste money 🙂

Edited by Tony Wyp

On 7/6/2020 at 12:27 PM, William1 said:

OEM tip is the same as the LTZ quad and it is available as a part (gasket too).

OP - Inside of your muffler looks stock. BTW, put an ad in the TT classifieds you are looking for a OEM complete system. Plenty of near new ones in peoiple garages I bet.

William1, I ended up picking a lightly used silencer from ebay. When I pulled the tip off, I could see that there are some chambers in there that were removed from mine. The bike is much quieter now. The replacement turned out to have the spark arrestor baffle cut off of the tip but it's still way quieter with all the guts intact.

• Like 2