Opinion on a Yamaha XT600

Hello,

Thank you for taking time out to read my post. I came across an 86 Yamaha XT 600 in excellent condition. I was looking for a Dr 650 or a drz400 and found the Yamaha... I am concerned because I know very little about this bike and aftermarket parts upgrades seem light. Would I be better waiting and finding a Suzuki.? Any honest input or advice would be appreciated .

Thanks,

Scott

I have an '86 XT350.  IMHO the XT's are decent, all-around bikes.
All of the bikes you mentioned have their advantages and disadvantages.  You didnt mention what sort of riding you want to do, nor the age of 
the other bikes.  My advice would be to get the newest bike you can.

Why waste money on upgrades?  If you want a bike that is faster, more powerful, more this or more that, then buy a bike designed with what you want already in/on it.  Unless you are a competitive racer (and even if you are) the single biggest upgrade you can do is inside your helmet.  

Anyway... the challenge with any 35 yr old bike is that parts will be harder to find and little stuff can break that's nearly impossible to find.  Plastic bits age over time and become brittle.  Rubber hardens, etc.  If you are just a casual rider, the bike will hold up really well.  But if you tend to flog  it and break stuff all the time, get something newer.