453 RFS vs 2020 500/501

I rode an 06 400/453EXC for 12 years and absolutely loved it, before that I rode an XR500 for 14 years. Last year I got a wild hair and went out and bought a TE300i. I like the bike, chassis and suspension is leap years ahead of the old RFS bike but I don’t like the 2 stroke. Hadn’t ridden a 2t for any length of time in 25 years, so I decided with the TPI, no mixing, no stink, I’d try 2t again. A season and a half later I’m still missing the 453. The 300 feels powerful, and I know it it, it tries to kill me every time I ride it. I miss the torque from idle all the way to red line. 453 could pull a front wheel at idle or in 3rd cranking a woods road. The 300 almost has turbo lag, nothing, nothing, and then it’s pointing at the moon. I know there are things you can do to change the power,  heads, ECUs, power valve, etc. but I’m just kinda over it. 

I have been reading about the 2020/2021 500EXC and XC-W and FE501s and off road versions. Kinda wondering if this motor has the same kind of electric feel the 453 had?  Am I going to feel at home on it?  

I think you’d love the 501 or 500 exc. they are both amazing bikes. I can not compare the other bike you mentioned, but I’m betting you would love the 501 or 500 exc. I have a 2015 500. I almost had a 2020 501. Had check in hand. The covid shut it all down. I ended up buying a used 2015 500 exc. Love, love it. And the 501 is a wonderful  machine as well. Although I have some buddies with the newer carbon frame, and they are breaking. That might be my only reservation on the Huskies right now. 

The 453 is a really linear power and very controllable. You can ride it at 4K just plodding along all day with no drama, or that same 4K can be on the gas pulling hard to the top. I could ride up to a log at idle, roll on and pull the front end up and go right over. The 300 is just a bit more wild and I haven’t learned to tame it.  

That is how I would describe my 500. The power curve is fairly linear. It doesn’t  “kick in” at any particular spot. Most people describe them the same as “they just pull and pull”. The gear you are in is largely irrelevant. You twist the throttle and it just pushes you back and goes. 
Mine is unplugged and uncorked but I have not added more fuel to the mix yet. I did bump the TPS a bit to get ride of the popping decel. But she does seem a tad lean when you are in the mid range and up. Which I rarely get to, unless I’m on the road screwing around. 

a GET ECU is the next investment I will make now that I have most of the safety stuff in place. I expect it to rich up that top end a bit, and I’m interested having a low end trail map, and a burn the roads map. I also like the idea of the GET taking care of elevation for me. But even if I never get a new ECU, i would be tickled with where it is now. 
But they are plugged a bit coming off the showroom floor. Still a ton of power, but you can’t help knowing there is more torque down there. Whether you really need it or not 😂

Went to the dealer today to get my 1290 serviced and talked to the owner. He rides a 500exc. I ended up putting a deposit on a 21 FE501. Sounds like what I want. Find out in a month or so when it comes in!  He had a 350 on the floor, straight up told me if I didn’t like the 300 because of power delivery I wasn’t going to like the 350 either, which I kinda knew anyway. 

I can’t imagine you won’t love it. Keep us up to date. 

out of curiosity, how did you settle on FE vs 501s? Do you plan on doing any “dual sport” road riding? If so you just plate the FE? I went back and forth on this for a month when I was looking at buying the 2020 husky 501. I had settled on “s” because I knew by the time I added blinkers, changed the tires, and gearing so I could ride highway, I’d wish I’d gone “s”. That said, the FE on the trail is going to be awesome off the floor. My move to a used KTM Exc made the decision moot but I labored on it during the Husky process. 

I decided against the S because the off road version has 2 maps and traction control, tires that are useable out of the box and it’s $500 less. I can add turn signals and brake light switches and put a plate on it here. Might not be worth as much as an S when it’s time to resell, but if I love it like my 453 that won’t be an issue. As far as Husqvarna VS KTM, it doesn’t matter that much to me. The owner said if you can ride them back to back you might be able to tell a difference if you are a sensitive rider. I bought my 300 from them (and my 1290SAR). Had the enquired about a 300XCW TPI but they had just taken a deposit on it and he had the TE on the floor. I think the Huskies look nicer than the KTM anyway, I just didn’t want to mess with linkage maintenance. Fast forward 2 years and I’m talking to the dealer, he prefers PDS for ground clearance. Makes sense. He said he has 4 501s and one 501 off road coming in, no 500XCW on order. Asked if he could get one, he said probably but stuff is selling faster than he can get it so no promises. I like white. 

I agree on looks.  I Like the husky look. I’ve redone the graphics on my KTM and I’m more happy. But still like the husky look off the floor. Sounds like you have thought it through. Can’t go wrong with any of the ones we’ve talked about. Now you just have to test your patiences while you wait for your new ride!

Got my 501 last week and did a 120 mile dual sport ride on it this weekend. Set it up with heavy duty tubes, Seat Concepts seat, AXP skid plate, Bullet Proof Designs rear fin and radiator guards and put my Flexx Bars on it. So far I’d say it is almost exactly what I want. If it didn’t vibrate more than the counter balances 300 it would be perfect. Rides like my 300, but with the  even torque everywhere kind of power I wanted. 

92856E96-FFCF-4A57-808C-1C2EB5A50A72.jpeg