KTM 250SX gearing

Hi

I have a 2011 KTM 250Sx. for gearing I'm running 13-50 and it has a flywheel weight. The guy I got it off of used it for trail riding and I ride mostly track. I haven't changed much on the bike. It has good compression jetting is dialed with jd jetting kit and has new v force reeds. Over the months as I got more used to the bike after coming off a yz125. I feel now as though I have to shift to early. I know 2 strokes are meant to be revved out but I feel like I am two much if that makes any sense. I find my self in 5th gear a lot. would that have to do with my gearing ?Or is that just normal to rev it out that much. The bike flys and is powerful. maybe it's just in my head? what our your thoughts?

just throw a 14 counter on it will be good

15 hours ago, Colby peters said:

Hi

I have a 2011 KTM 250Sx. for gearing I'm running 13-50 and it has a flywheel weight. The guy I got it off of used it for trail riding and I ride mostly track. I haven't changed much on the bike. It has good compression jetting is dialed with jd jetting kit and has new v force reeds. Over the months as I got more used to the bike after coming off a yz125. I feel now as though I have to shift to early. I know 2 strokes are meant to be revved out but I feel like I am two much if that makes any sense. I find my self in 5th gear a lot. would that have to do with my gearing ?Or is that just normal to rev it out that much. The bike flys and is powerful. maybe it's just in my head? what our your thoughts?

I have 13-49 on my ‘17 250sx and I believe had 13-48 on my previous bike which was a ‘12 250sx. 

From 50 to 48 is quite a difference already, but all depends on where you ride.

Smaller rear sprocket makes your gears longer, so higher speed and less acceleration. A bigger front sprocket does the same, but the effect of 1 tooth is way bigger than 1 tooth of the rear sprocket.

Based on your story I would try a 48 rear sprocket. The effect is less than switching to a 14 at the front, but it will be a significant change.

Hope this helps. 

24 minutes ago, MrDen119 said:

I have 13-49 on my ‘17 250sx and I believe had 13-48 on my previous bike which was a ‘12 250sx. 

From 50 to 48 is quite a difference already, but all depends on where you ride.

Smaller rear sprocket makes your gears longer, so higher speed and less acceleration. A bigger front sprocket does the same, but the effect of 1 tooth is way bigger than 1 tooth of the rear sprocket.

Based on your story I would try a 48 rear sprocket. The effect is less than switching to a 14 at the front, but it will be a significant change.

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the advice. Today I bought at 14 for the front so I will see how that goes👍