YZ 250 1996 swingarm upgrade

Hi there, i have a 1996 YZ250 frame to upgrade with a 01 Swingarm and linkage.

The shock dimensions are different, does anybody knoe which shock will fit? (Do i also need the newer Shock ao keep the old one?

The orig. 96 is 475mm, the 01 489mm eye to eye.

Thanks a lot, Michael

3 hours ago, Cannon0873 said:

Hi there, i have a 1996 YZ250 frame to upgrade with a 01 Swingarm and linkage.

The shock dimensions are different, does anybody knoe which shock will fit? (Do i also need the newer Shock ao keep the old one?

The orig. 96 is 475mm, the 01 489mm eye to eye.

Thanks a lot, Michael

Doing some hill climbing. My question to you is, do you have the swing arm with you or are you planning a purchase? I would leave your bike stock, all you are doing is increasing the wheel base, and de-creasing the value...But, if you insist, take it apart and see if she fits, thats all I can say..

The YZ rear suspension geometry went through a lot of development between 1996 and 2001; there were 2 different relay links & connecting rods (1996-1997 & 1998-2001), and 3 different swingarms (1996, 1997-8 and 1999-2001). And 5 different frames and shocks.

So be careful when mixing rear arm components over these years.

You may be able to swap all the 2001 components (swingarm, linkage, and shock) onto a 1996 frame, but if the linkage mounts on the frame are not in the identical location, suspension action could be unpredictable.

Also, the diameter of the rear axle changed in 1999, so you may not be able to run a 1996 axle, wheel & brake caliper.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2001/competition-yz250n1/rear-wheel

Good luck, and keep us updated with what you do. 👍

• Like 1