XR650R Xr650r carb worth upgrading

Is the stock carb on the xr650r worth upgrading knowing there isn't much available in 2020 other than the lectron that has parts still being made today if something broke or needed replaced. I know edlebrock doesn't make them anymore and I do believe the Keihin fcr has fitment issues? But all parts are still available. The mikuni tm40 isn't supported by mikuni anymore so replacement parts are harder to find? Am I correct about all this? Im basically looking for a carb that'll last, and has parts still available as I plan on keeping this bike until they stop making rebuild kits for it.

At this point in time, the stock carb is worth just sticking with.  I never had any issues with the stock carb, I just wanted the accelerator pump aspect of the FCR which for when I was racing my XR had big benefits.  Jetting of the stock PJ is pretty lenient, once set I never had to mess with it other than a quick change of the airscrew at elevation (if I even bothered with that).

I have an FCR on mine, but am keeping my stock carb ready for when the FCR gets to be difficult to keep together.  FCRs do wear out, eventually: I am on my second one.  Yeah, you can replace all the parts (and I did that on my first one once), but I just swapped it out the second time my original FCR went south.  I pretty much only dual sport my XR anymore (trail ride it only occasionally), and as such the FCR is totally not needed for that use.

Mikuni isn’t supporting the TM40? News to me, and hope it’s not so. All my crew are running them with good performance. 

Funny I just saw this a month ago.......

I know they are popular and for good reasons, ................. as some have said.

I would stay with the stocker ....... Mr. Honda knew what the bike needed here in the "consistency department".

Keep the engine at its best temp and provide even (for the most part) application of power................... even though it does bog a bit from idle to a quick twist.

If the Baja was won using it, ....... it must be good enough.......................

• Like 1

The FCR 41mx is way better than the stock carb - Definitely worth the minor hassle of fitting it up