18 crf450r air filter and dust

I did my first hare scramble on the 450 yesterday in super dusty conditions. After the first hour the bike started stalling and was hard to start. I managed to finish my 2nd lap and then went back to the truck. When I got home, I saw that the air filter was really dirty. It was new before the race...lightly oiled. Has anyone else run into this during dusty conditions? OR could this be the kill switch, fuel pump filter etc? I'm going to check valve clearances today. They were dead nuts on 5hrs ago. The bike is an 18 with 50hrs.

KIMG1293~2.JPG

So flip it over.  Dust get through? Layer of dust in your intake boot? Pics?

Filter stopped all the dust. Intake boot was nice and clean. I'm wondering if this is common in dusty conditions with the huge intake holes in the plastic 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Sure it's common.  If your doin hare scrambles I'd block those holes or filter them. Motocross leave em. It's dry and dusty so just make sure your filter is thoroughly oiled. Wouldn't believe how quick dust goes through a improper oiled filter.  

• Like 1

Valves are in spec.....the fuel filter is a little dirty. Was alot darker when wet with fuel. Changed it, I'll report back after I get to ride for more then 10min. 

KIMG1300.JPG

KIMG1299.JPG

You can get a Filterskin. Some are made with a quick pull to remove when racing. It will help keep the filter from getting clogged.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, hondaxr650rrrr said:

You can get a Filterskin. Some are made with a quick pull to remove when racing. It will help keep the filter from getting clogged.

Yep, this... Yank it off halfway through race or if bike starts running poorly.

Ordered some filter skins and a new kill switch just in case. Looks like the previous owner filled it with glue or epoxy? Not sure if he was trying to avoid problems or was having them already with the switch.

Just an update, raced this weekend...all good. I put a new filter w/ a filter skin on, a new fuel filter, and a new kill/map switch. Bike ran flawless. Pretty sure it was the dusty conditions and clogged air filter that caused the issues last time.

• Like 1