Beta2Stroke 75 Dirt Miles This weekend

So as some of you know, im old at 50 and im a brand new rider on my first bike (a 2017 Beta 300RR).  We rode roughly 75 miles yesterday and I'm so sore all over today (i said old, but failed to mentioned out of shape as well).  It was a wide variety of trails, hills, roots, rocks, mud, ruts etc.   Where i continue to really struggle and the only time i really fall are in muddy ruts.  Bike with new SC2 Carb was flawless, finally to my preload back to where it needs to be and its much nicer now.

My next project is i really need to find a way to adjust the rear brake so that there is NO slack in the brake.  I dont see a real adjustment to take the play out, any suggestions?

Edited by Adrian Brinkman
Added photo
  • Like 1

replace the stock bushing in the brake lever with the right size. 11mm OD and 8mm ID. that will tighten up the free play in the lever. 3rd post down-

• Like 1

Old at 50?  You have to be kidding.  I’m 66, out of shape, and ride most weekends.  At 50, you would be one of the younger guys in the group I usually ride with.  At any rate, good for you for getting out there.  Keep it up, it only gets better.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

Thanks Gflo, didnt intent for it to come off that way if you were insulted in anyway.     I more meant to say, im out of shape BADLY.

5 hours ago, Adrian Brinkman said:

Thanks Gflo, didnt intent for it to come off that way if you were insulted in anyway.     I more meant to say, im out of shape BADLY.

Not insulted at all.  Just saying 50 isn’t old.  And I don’t think of myself as old either, even though many would disagree with me.  You have many years of off roading ahead of you.  Just hang in there, take it at your own pace, and find a group of guys you enjoy riding with.  Nothing better than getting out with some friends and going riding.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 2

6 hours ago, Gflo said:

Old at 50?  You have to be kidding.  I’m 66, out of shape, and ride most weekends.  At 50, you would be one of the younger guys in the group I usually ride with.  At any rate, good for you for getting out there.  Keep it up, it only gets better.

Well I’m 73 and still riding so.....😏😊

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Layton said:

Well I’m 73 and still riding so.....😏😊

Good for you!  I plan on riding for quite a while more.  One of the guys in our group is 78.

• Like 1

I know quite a few older riders. It’s still fun so that’s what counts. 👍

• Like 1

To make the day after a ride easier...

Prehydrate, snack, use a post workout recovery supplement after riding....

You can signifigantly cut the recovery.

Also don't let the soreness "cripple" you.  Not moving around because your sore actually makes it last longer 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

I'm just getting started (rode a few times as a teenager) at 49.  I have a healthier respect for the damage that can be done to my body but also have better safety equipment than  I had back then.  I had one day of 55 miles which included some class B stuff that I really struggled with.  Haven't done any significant time since then due to coming off in a patch of Poison Ivy.  That was 2 weeks ago.  Since then I have had the bike sprung for my weight so I'm hoping to have a better experience once my skin allows me to experience friction from clothes again.  This stuff really really sucks!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’ve also found a couple of aspirin before a ride cuts down on the lactic acid which causes the sore muscles.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

Most of the group I ride with are 30s and 40s. My good friends dad who frequently rides with us is in his late 60s and easily finishes a long ride and is in the mid to front of pack most times. He is also unbelievable smooth and rarely sits. He breaks our balls for buying taller softer seats all the time. Honestly he is one of the guys I enjoy riding with the most. No ego and has tons of good habits to pick up on when you follow him.

• Like 3

Long way to go i ride and work on trails with a guy who turned 81 yesterday. I think i will be lucky if i am still alive at 81 let alone riding.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

last sept2019 got to spend my 54th birthday riding the tail of the dragon in gatlinburg Tenn with a gang of duudes much older than myself 

Charlie is 68 , his little bro is 66, cousin Kalvin is 67.5  , and those guys ALL ran circles around me like I was in slo-motion 

after that 4day ride event I was sore and stiff for about a week  , but like all the others have said plenty of water and some tylenol /aspirin daily does help    the biggest help is NOT sitting still , just basic moving around helps ease the aches and pains 

I also do some 2stroker dirtbike half-days , I take at megapopulous BuddsCreek  , seems to make me far more sore and achey in only 4hrs of riding

BUT   the permanent smiles from both types of riding are longer lasting than any   achey.breaky.krapola  

DDD

• Like 3

Congrats on the bike and ride.  Ive been riding steady for 32 yrs. 45 now and we have many more yrs to enjoy it i hope.

As for the mud ruts, like you said check your preload in riding gear.  Should be around 105mm.  You need an assistant for this unless you have a fancy sag tool.  But u dont need one.  Also check where your forks are in the clamps.  You dont want them too high.  A trick in sand and mud is to drag your rear brake slightly.  Itll help settle the bike.  So you will drag the brake while on the throttle.  Sounds odd but try it out - it works.  Also, some front tires will wanna climb out of a rut, the more aggressive side knobs do this.  See what your buddies run for your terrain.  

Its hard to train during the week sometimes.  But if u find an activity you dont hate it makes it easier.  Like mtn biking.  In the end though, a jog is the best cardio workout for me in the shortest time.  I HATE running, but its a great brief cardio workout.

good luck and enjoy yourself!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WRider995 said:

Congrats on the bike and ride.  Ive been riding steady for 32 yrs. 45 now and we have many more yrs to enjoy it i hope.

As for the mud ruts, like you said check your preload in riding gear.  Should be around 105mm.  98-100mm fully geared

good luck and enjoy yourself!

FIFY.

9 minutes ago, motoxgiant said:

FIFY.

Thx, didnt need fixing for me though.  Lots of guys run 105, some run 100.  My ktm i run 110 being pds.  Many manuals and suspension shops give varying numbers in the proximity.   The point was, check it with a friend and see where youre at.  Fine tune from there.  

I am almost 52 activity still ride motocross can hang with the younger boys most days

But I get sore to but taking about 5 ibuprofen before I ride helps then after lol

Adrian, you are not old. Just turned 78.  Did 61 miles on Sunday @ elevations 8600 to 11800 ' on my 480RR.

You have plenty of time. Needless to say, I ride w/ all younger guys.  They are great and watch over me on the difficult sections.

If you are out of shape, get working on it. I have been on a regular exercise program for 40+ years.   You will be surprised at how well your strength & endurance will improve w/regular exercise.

😁

• Like 2