Tool Kits

Normally just carry the oem kit as I am typically either racing or just riding on my property. The nice part is all of the trails at my property lead downhill to my house, that way if something breaks, I just coast down. 

KLIM BACK PACK CONTENTS

100 OZ WATER

JB WELD PUTTY

(3) MOTION PRO TIRE SPOON/ AXLE NUT WRENCH

T-HANDLE + 6/8/10/12/13/PHILLIPS/STRAIGHT SOCKETS

TIRE PLUG HOLE MAKER

TIRE PLUG HOLE PLUGGER

TIRE PLUGS

VALVE STEM TOOL

MINI STEEL CRESENT WRENCH

LEATHERMAN

TUBE PATCH KIT

EXTRA VALVE STEMS AND CAPS

SPARE TWO STROKE PLUG

MOTION PRO AIR CANISTER TOOL

(4) AIR CANISTERS

RUBBER BANDS MADE FROM OLD BICYCLE INNER TUBES

20” UHD WIRE TIES

7” WIRE TIES

21” EL-CHEAP-O TUBE

COLEMAN FIRST AID KIT

RAG

4 OZ BOTTLE (FOR CARRYING KETOGENIC MIX)

(2) RX BARS

(2) GREEN EARTH BARS

PLASTIC BAG WITH REGISTRATION AND POI FOR (3) BIKES

$30 CASH

OFF-BRAND 7” VICE-GRIPS

BEAD BUDDY

STEM BUDDY

18 LBS FULL OF WATER

• Helpful 1

A tube, spoons, patches, and tire plugs? How many air systems are you running on one bike Bill? 

I got the same problem, over-prepared, but I throw all that in a fender pack (4lbs), and strap it to the kids bike!

I've had good luck with the JB Kwik, is the putty better to mash in the holes?

I have changed most of the bolts on my 300 to socket headed cap screws. That way I can do most tasks with just the one allen key multitool. Under the plastics (left and right hand side) I manage to store: a bike pump, puncture repair ropes and vulcanising goo in tiny tubes,  and the applicator(handle sawn off). A spare spark plug, a bunch of zip ties, an old film container with kneadit inside. Velcroed onto the side of my forks between the tripple clamps are: The Beta wheel axle spanner and the Allen key multitool.  That means I can go on any short distance trip knowing I can (90% of the time) get my bike back to base.

I then have the bumbag most riders have, with the kitchen sink along for the ride, whenever I'm going exploring some distance.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Adrian Brinkman said:

Curious, a few things

1. Are you guys buying pre-made tool kits for the trails or building your own?

2. Where are you storing it? Pouch, Backpack or fender pack, etc ?

What do you recommend for trail kits for a 300rr

There’s a ton of different tool kit threads. It’s no different to me especially for a 300rr. It’s good to start with the basic tools that come with but it depends on what other tools you have to put in . It’s more personal preference . For me I use a backpack and put tools and a bit of food etc. I change it around at different times. I have to watch as my backpack can get too heavy carrying a bit too much sometimes.  Then I know I am carrying too much and been adding too much. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=tool+kits+thumpertalk+dirt+bike&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjvtMnK2LrqAhX1AzQIHfLHAZMQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=tool+kits+thumpertalk+dirt+bike&gs_lcp=ChJtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1pbWcQDFAAWABg99sUaABwAHgAgAEAiAEAkgEAmAEA&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-img&ei=KC4EX--AIvWH0PEP8o-HmAk&bih=714&biw=414&client=safari&prmd=sniv&hl=en-us

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

7 hours ago, v-zee44 said:

A tube, spoons, patches, and tire plugs? How many air systems are you running on one bike Bill? 

I got the same problem, over-prepared, but I throw all that in a fender pack (4lbs), and strap it to the kids bike!

I've had good luck with the JB Kwik, is the putty better to mash in the holes?

It is simpler to fix the other un-prepared riders' flat than it is to watch him struggle, or cut the ride short.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KRAYNIAL said:

It is simpler to fix the other un-prepared riders' flat than it is to watch him struggle, or cut the ride short.

That's because you're OLD! I know, I did the same thing for too many years - no longer do that and we had a 22yo get a flat front tire this past weekend with no equipment. Tried my cartridge inflator but the pinch was too much, rode behind him for about 9 miles to make sure he made it. Since discovering I have spinal stenosis I have been shedding as much weight as possible, looking to get a Zac Speed protector/backpack to get weight off my lower back.

8 minutes ago, mtdirtbag said:

That's because you're OLD! I know, I did the same thing for too many years - no longer do that and we had a 22yo get a flat front tire this past weekend with no equipment. Tried my cartridge inflator but the pinch was too much, rode behind him for about 9 miles to make sure he made it. Since discovering I have spinal stenosis I have been shedding as much weight as possible, looking to get a Zac Speed protector/backpack to get weight off my lower back.

I have a Zac speed. Well worth the money IMO

This is my setup I ride with every time.

1209492729_July2020toolkit.jpg.7a8e4f75e54caa16ba7d7f71d8f04c9e.jpg

Topmost items (Spare control levers) go in my giant loop fender bag wrapped in a microfiber towel so they don't jingle. I used to also carry a 1L Fuel can in that same bag but now that I have a 3.3gal fuel tank I'm going to carry a soft fuel pouch (unfilled) and premix oil vs spare fuel. Sometimes I run out of fuel - sometimes others do - so having a collapsible fuel proof bag is important to me for fuel transfer on the trail. I'll carry 8oz of premix so I could remix another 3 gallons of fuel @ 50:1 if needed.

Other tools that may be redundant - the beta combination wrench could technically undo my spark plug - but it sucks even with the stock tank. With aftermarket tank I need the 12-point sparkplug wrench. The tire levers could be my wheel nut wrenches but the beta combination wrench actually works better - so they are just aluminum tire levers I carry. I like the Tusk foldable T-wrench with 1/4" drive more than the beta t-handle allen wrench. I carry a small 8mm 1" cut off section of allen wrench that I slide into my 8mm socket to undo my brake pedal - which I also carry a 14mm box wrench for the other side. I carry a small 8mm box wrench for my shifter lever. Both of those control levers have hardware that is tricky to get to, so a 12-point box wrench is pretty much necessary. The stock beta pliers are kinda shitty but they are useful - I can cut the saftey wire, grab random bolts and do other pliers things with them - no reason to upgrade at the moment.

Just about all the lower tools fit in the blue dry bag - which goes in my USWE 15L backpack. I carry 2 spark plugs - one for me and one for someone else. Spare bolts and exhaust hanger are nice - we smash things a lot out here in the mountains. The flash light is great for late afternoon / night trail fixes and an extra battery in case I have to use it for my primary headlight (it clips to my helmet visor easily). tube next to the park tool combo allen wrench is steel putty with a square of sand paper - promotes better adhesion and I've had to fix a few cases so it's deemed essential haha. Gorilla tape wrapped around a pen - I've used the tape to fix cases as well and the pen because - it's always wise to carry a pen! I carry fewer zip ties now that I carry the small spool of safety wire - zip ties tend to be poor strength when really needed! Blue thing under the flashlight is a spare master link.

A few saftey notes - I put short sections of semi-rigid PE tubing over my tubliss tire repair tools so they don't impale me. I take out the outermost combination screwdriver bit and pack it in my tool kit safely so it also does not impale me. If you have any sharp items in your tool kit - think about what they can do if you fall on them because there likely will be a time you will.

All my riding gear comes out to about 28 pounds. I don't mind it at all and wouldn't ride without it. Like @KRAYNIAL said - it's always easier to fix the other guys bike vs. shame them for being under-prepared. There's no time for politics when your 40 miles from the truck in the wilderness. 

Edited by mobile chernobyl
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 2

47 minutes ago, mtdirtbag said:

What does age have to do with it. You are either considerate or you are not.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mtdirtbag said:

Which one did you go with; it's hard to judge what you can carry with just specs or video - it would help if I could see one in person but no one seems to carry them.

Tom

I got the Zac Speed Comp 3. Which is a pretty small backpack. I did this so I couldn’t possibly carry more stuff. Haha. I didn’t want to take other people’s stuff and I didn’t want to have the possibility to overload myself. 

Basically what fits are my tools, which is a small 6” x 8” roll that is pretty hefty, a few granola bars, 2 sandwiches, a full water bladder (I think the comp 3 is a 2.5l?), my phone and there is room for other very small misc things to fill the cracks. But that’s it. 

I am going to move the tools to where my oil res was, as I have removed it. 

16 minutes ago, mobile chernobyl said:

This is my setup I ride with every time.

1209492729_July2020toolkit.jpg.7a8e4f75e54caa16ba7d7f71d8f04c9e.jpg

Topmost items (Spare control levers) go in my giant loop fender bag wrapped in a microfiber towel so they don't jingle. I used to also carry a 1L Fuel can in that same bag but now that I have a 3.3gal fuel tank I'm going to carry a soft fuel pouch (unfilled) and premix oil vs spare fuel. Sometimes I run out of fuel - sometimes others do - so having a collapsible fuel proof bag is important to me for fuel transfer on the trail. I'll carry 8oz of premix so I could remix another 3 gallons of fuel @ 50:1 if needed.

Other tools that may be redundant - the beta combination wrench could technically undo my spark plug - but it sucks even with the stock tank. With aftermarket tank I need the 12-point sparkplug wrench. The tire levers could be my wheel nut wrenches but the beta combination wrench actually works better - so they are just aluminum tire levers I carry. I like the Tusk foldable T-wrench with 1/4" drive more than the beta t-handle allen wrench. I carry a small 8mm 1" cut off section of allen wrench that I slide into my 8mm socket to undo my brake pedal - which I also carry a 14mm box wrench for the other side. I carry a small 8mm box wrench for my shifter lever. Both of those control levers have hardware that is tricky to get to, so a 12-point box wrench is pretty much necessary. The stock beta pliers are kinda shitty but they are useful - I can cut the saftey wire, grab random bolts and do other pliers things with them - no reason to upgrade at the moment.

Just about all the lower tools fit in the blue dry bag - which goes in my USWE 15L backpack. I carry 2 spark plugs - one for me and one for someone else. Spare bolts and exhaust hanger are nice - we smash things a lot out here in the mountains. The flash light is great for late afternoon / night trail fixes and an extra battery in case I have to use it for my primary headlight (it clips to my helmet visor easily). tube next to the park tool combo allen wrench is steel putty with a square of sand paper - promotes better adhesion and I've had to fix a few cases so it's deemed essential haha. Gorilla tape wrapped around a pen - I've used the tape to fix cases as well and the pen because - it's always wise to carry a pen! I carry fewer zip ties now that I carry the small spool of safety wire - zip ties tend to be poor strength when really needed! Blue thing under the flashlight is a spare master link.

A few saftey notes - I put short sections of semi-rigid PE tubing over my tubliss tire repair tools so they don't impale me. I take out the outermost combination screwdriver bit and pack it in my tool kit safely so it also does not impale me. If you have any sharp items in your tool kit - think about what they can do if you fall on them because there likely will be a time you will.

All my riding gear comes out to about 28 pounds. I don't mind it at all and wouldn't ride without it. Like @KRAYNIAL said - it's always easier to fix the other guys bike vs. shame them for being under-prepared. There's no time for politics when your 40 miles from the truck in the wilderness. 

Near identical pack contents for me. Better prepared than a victim of misfortune in my mind, and the strength training carrying it around is not bad for me either. 

39 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

Near identical pack contents for me. Better prepared than a victim of misfortune in my mind, and the strength training carrying it around is not bad for me either. 

Carry some extras for me...you'll be super fit in no time!

You're welcome.

• Like 1

No tire sealant? Instead of changing the tube (spare tube, irons, cuss words), I carry a small (relatively) bottle of slime and a hand bike pump. It won't last forever but it certainly will last the day. The rest of stuff I carry is pretty similar. zip ties, tow rope, various tools.