Strange problem while riding. odd exhaust noise, bike wouldn't idle

was out on a ride, was about 40km into a ride, and I was climbing this mountain through switch backs, nothing strenous or anything.  Bike exhaust started to get louder in a wierd way, almost like there were two exhaust sounds, the normal sound plus a louder almost burping sound on top of the normal.  Never heard this before on any bike.  Bike seemed to have full power if I dug into the throttle bike would respond and throw a huge roost and lift the front wheel.  But if I let off the throttle it would idle low then die.  It would fire right back up but problem would be there still, no engine codes no extra vibrations. 

I was all alone so I figured get back to the bottom of the mountain near a major road before I turned it off to check anything.  Got to the bottom of the mountain and it died and took 4 or 5 restarts to get it across the road to a shaded resting spot.  Once there I stopped the bike had some water,  wiggled the quick connector for the gas line, it didn't budge or click or anything.  I fired up the bike and it fired right up and no longer had the problem.   I then rode it 40+ kms back to my campsite.

Anyone seen this before?  Was the burping noise I heard a lean pop? was the bike being starved of gas?  did my little wiggling of the gas line fix whatever was happening?

2017 FE501.  230 hours.  Valves in spec last checked 5 hours ago.

18 hours ago, John Dougherty said:

header split???

like crack or split in the header?  I don't think so, but I'll inspect closer.  Was strange how it went away while sitting for a few minutes.

The gas line from the tank  is S- bent with disconnect and in my case I have a ty/ filter in the (S bend) also  , those bends can be over bent causing problems with not enough fuel and or pressure to the fuel injector. Solution was to unkink or straighten the bends and back to hauling a—