clear creek or something close by

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip from AZ to the Santa Cruz mtns. I rode clear creek back in the day with my father. I'd like to ride it again but I hear its off limits to dirt bikes. Can anyone suggest something close to it in that region. Plan is to camp & ride on the way to see some family. Thanks.

59 minutes ago, havaride said:

Overland tent set up. Bike is a 450rx. Looking at middle to end of November.

Not clear...bike only, or truck/vehicle + bike? 

I have a route that I regularly ride from Santa Cruz to Tehachapi/ Mojave area and back. Let me know how you’re traveling, and I’ll give you some recommendations. 

15 minutes ago, bajabinder said:

Not clear...bike only, or truck/vehicle + bike? 

I have a route that I regularly ride from Santa Cruz to Tehachapi/ Mojave area and back. Let me know how you’re traveling, and I’ll give you some recommendations. 

4x4 Chevy duramax truck, tent camping. 8x16 trailer with the dirt bikes

Ok. From Santa Cruz going south, here’s some options:

Hollister Hills. Fun mix of trails, good camping, showers and WiFi in the campgrounds, and only $10/ night. Crowded on the weekends as it’s the premier spot for the Bay Area. It’s only an hour from Santa Cruz, so it makes for a good day trip from here. 

Clear Creek. It’s been heavily neutered, and you’ll need permits/passes to enter. 2 campgrounds are truck/ trailer friendly, which are just prior to entering gated area. You might also need a plate to ride there. 

Condon Peak. This is just south of Clear Creek. It’s BLM, and has 5 truck/trailer friendly camp sites. Trails are mostly Jeep roads with a few single tracks for motos. 20-30 miles of trails. Permits/passes needed here too, as it’s part of the Clear Creek BLM area. Contact Hollister BLM field office for permits...not much money for permits.

Pozo. On hwy58 between Atascadero and hwy5. Fairly large riding area with plenty of truck/trailer camping.

Carizzo National Monument. Starts from the north at hwy58, and runs 40-50 south and ends at hwy166/ Maricopa. Not many road options, no trails (just dirt roads), decent road for truck/trailer, one campground on west side of valley, BUT the east ridge borders...

The Temblor Range OHV. This is accessed from either Maricopa or the ridge trail on the east side of the Carizzo. You’d have to camp in the Maricopa/ Taft area. This is a new OHV area without a dedicated staging area as of yet. Some cool gulches and hills to ride if you search.

Ballinger canyon OHV. Off hwy33 near hwy166. Meh, it’s ok, easy tuck/trailer camping.

Los Padres Natl forest near Frazier. Multiple entry points, and camp options. Great trails, but might be closed for winter by the time of your trip.

Hungry Valley OHV. At Gorman on hwy5. Big, mixed riding, tons of camping, whooped out, overrun on the weekends, knuckleheads..., BUT you can access Los Padres/ Frazier from here.

I’m assuming you’ll be coming north and west through the dez. There’s too much to list along that route. 

• Helpful 2

1 hour ago, bajabinder said:

Ok. From Santa Cruz going south, here’s some options:

Hollister Hills. Fun mix of trails, good camping, showers and WiFi in the campgrounds, and only $10/ night. Crowded on the weekends as it’s the premier spot for the Bay Area. It’s only an hour from Santa Cruz, so it makes for a good day trip from here. 

Clear Creek. It’s been heavily neutered, and you’ll need permits/passes to enter. 2 campgrounds are truck/ trailer friendly, which are just prior to entering gated area. You might also need a plate to ride there. 

Condon Peak. This is just south of Clear Creek. It’s BLM, and has 5 truck/trailer friendly camp sites. Trails are mostly Jeep roads with a few single tracks for motos. 20-30 miles of trails. Permits/passes needed here too, as it’s part of the Clear Creek BLM area. Contact Hollister BLM field office for permits...not much money for permits.

Pozo. On hwy58 between Atascadero and hwy5. Fairly large riding area with plenty of truck/trailer camping.

Carizzo National Monument. Starts from the north at hwy58, and runs 40-50 south and ends at hwy166/ Maricopa. Not many road options, no trails (just dirt roads), decent road for truck/trailer, one campground on west side of valley, BUT the east ridge borders...

The Temblor Range OHV. This is accessed from either Maricopa or the ridge trail on the east side of the Carizzo. You’d have to camp in the Maricopa/ Taft area. This is a new OHV area without a dedicated staging area as of yet. Some cool gulches and hills to ride if you search.

Ballinger canyon OHV. Off hwy33 near hwy166. Meh, it’s ok, easy tuck/trailer camping.

Los Padres Natl forest near Frazier. Multiple entry points, and camp options. Great trails, but might be closed for winter by the time of your trip.

Hungry Valley OHV. At Gorman on hwy5. Big, mixed riding, tons of camping, whooped out, overrun on the weekends, knuckleheads..., BUT you can access Los Padres/ Frazier from here.

I’m assuming you’ll be coming north and west through the dez. There’s too much to list along that route. 

Thanks man! I hit Pozo, turkey flats, a year ago. Fun stuff. I'll research the others.