1987 yz125 problems. Help?

I have a 1987 yz125 that usually runs great but has been having problems, I went on a 3 month trip and left it at home and had to leave it under a car port, when i came back the kickstart will not pop back up when it kick it (so i have to bump start it), the clutch no longer works and feels really lose ( i tried adjusting the cable but no luck) but it still shifts even when i don't pull in the clutch. I put fresh gas in it (32:1 mix) and it ran fine for the first tank but when i was riding i ran out of gas and when i put new gas in it, it would barely want to start and when it did it had no power and wants to die when i go slow, and when it gets warm it doesn't want to hit high rpm and even when it does, there is no powerband. I would really appreciate anyone who can help me out and maybe point me towards the problem.

So, probably a direct result from sitting for 3 months, you need a total carb cleaning/rebuild. Naturally, running out of gas is never good for a 2 stroke due to lack of lubrication and sucking in the gunk from the tank bottom...

Your clutch issue is maybe stuck plates. Take them out and clean them, while replacing the fluid w/ ATF. Change the fluid every 5 gallons of fuel and do the air filter at the same interval.

A sitting bike is usually problematic for the first few rides

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NYMXer said:

So, probably a direct result from sitting for 3 months, you need a total carb cleaning/rebuild. Naturally, running out of gas is never good for a 2 stroke due to lack of lubrication and sucking in the gunk from the tank bottom...

Your clutch issue is maybe stuck plates. Take them out and clean them, while replacing the fluid w/ ATF. Change the fluid every 5 gallons of fuel and do the air filter at the same interval.

No vehicles should sit for a long stretch, sports cars, bike, boats etc....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NYMXer said:

Thank you I'll clean it first chance i get, do you know anything about the kickstart? I tried spraying it with wd-40 but that didnt help. It's going to get annoying really fast.

4 minutes ago, mx_yz125 said:

Thank you I'll clean it first chance i get, do you know anything about the kickstart? I tried spraying it with wd-40 but that didnt help. It's going to get annoying really fast.

If you are saying that when you use the kickstarter and kick down, it fails to return back up to the starting position, then don't worry too much about it until you clean the clutch plates.

Soak them in clean ATF for an hour and scrub them clean. Then let them soak overnight in the ATF before reassembly. See if the kickstarter hangs up with the clutch plates out and spark plug removed.

Post back with your results