05 crf250r trans drain bolt

Hello all hopefully someone out there can help me.  I made the mistake of trusting torque specs from Honda and snapped my trans drain bolt, and now I can’t seem to find a part number to get a new one.  If someone knows the part number for the bolt and crush washer I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance

Bryan

32006497-B2A0-44C0-ACFC-F7D9333F8383.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bryangb7 said:

Hello all hopefully someone out there can help me.  I made the mistake of trusting torque specs from Honda and snapped my trans drain bolt, and now I can’t seem to find a part number to get a new one.  If someone knows the part number for the bolt and crush washer I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance

Bryan

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2005/crf250r-a/crankcase

#34 is the bolt and the part number is in bold below, #12 is the washer

#34 BOLT, FLANGE (8X70)
96300-08070-00 

Did you get the old bolt out yet?

Edited by Garage_Dog

I have not got the bolt out. Was prepping it to go on vacation and had it all done and that was the last bolt to tighten before adding all fluids. FML so it is at home waiting for me to get back.  With the reading I’ve done was going to try left hand drill bit to hopefully get out. If anyone has any better ideas I’ll take them I have a week to figure out plan of attack.  Thanks for the quick reply and numbers. Hopefully I can get that part delivered before I get back so I don’t lose the time.

Bryan

31 minutes ago, Bryangb7 said:

I have not got the bolt out. Was prepping it to go on vacation and had it all done and that was the last bolt to tighten before adding all fluids. FML so it is at home waiting for me to get back.  With the reading I’ve done was going to try left hand drill bit to hopefully get out. If anyone has any better ideas I’ll take them I have a week to figure out plan of attack.  Thanks for the quick reply and numbers. Hopefully I can get that part delivered before I get back so I don’t lose the time.

Bryan

IMO its a pretty long bolt and even with the shifter off if it snapped in the case its going to extremely hard to get out the broken piece but if you can find a say 6" or longer left hand drill bit you might be able to get it out.

Post a pic of the the bolt end that broke off when you get a chance.

Personally I just use 1/4" or 3/8" t-handles and snug tighten that and most bolts.

I hope its easy.

Most of the time the bolt hole threads get pulled out before the bolt would snap off.

The bolt hole threads are in the aluminum case and dont last very long if the trans fluid drain bolt gets overtightened, which is easy to do with that size of bolt. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TDW said:

Most of the time the bolt hole threads get pulled out before the bolt would snap off.

The bolt hole threads are in the aluminum case and dont last very long if the trans fluid drain bolt gets overtightened, which is easy to do with that size of bolt. 

YA thats what I would have assumed cud its a stainless steel bolt and can only imagine why it snapped.

I have a Clymer and full Honda Service manual for my 05 and I question the torque specs for lots of things, hence why I rarely if ever use a torque wrench then it needed it would be a good/calibrated one making sure its the right ft/lb's etc for the spec listings.

Whole other topic but as I posted 1/4" or 3/8" t-handles ALMOST make it impossible to over tighten but tightening by feel is a learned art ?

I'm now slightly interested to hear how it works out with the OP if he updates this.

• Like 1

That is freaky, I'd expect the threads to go in the case way before anything happens with the bolt.   If you used the stock bolt and indeed managed to break it off, I think extracting the part shouldn't be that difficult since it is not likely to bottom out or anything like that.  AFAIR if you take enough stuff off on the opposite side of the cases, you can get to the end of that bolt as well (without splitting the cases or removing the engine), but it will only be a "partial view".  Don't remember for sure if it is just already visible or requires drilling in just the right spot. 

torque wrenches are for critical fasteners.  

rods, mains, flywheel to crankshaft, and headbolts in the automotive world for example.

can't say I have ever used a torque wrench on my dirtscoot.

jus' sayin'. 

Well good news!  I took it to a local shop and he was able to get the bolt out without splitting the cases. Threads weren’t buggered either put new bolt in filled with fluids and she lives on once again. Thanks again for all the input and help.

Bryan

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Bryangb7 said:

Well good news!  I took it to a local shop and he was able to get the bolt out without splitting the cases. Threads weren’t buggered either put new bolt in filled with fluids and she lives on once again. Thanks again for all the input and help.

Bryan

Out of interest, do you have a pic of the broken bolt?

I'm slightly surprised the shop was able to get it out and IMO you are one lucky dude ?

And obviously as post be careful tightening hardware in the future.

• Like 1

I would assume the bolt lost its integrity prior because I’m with y’all I would thought the threads would go before the bolt but.  I think he kept the bolt so I don’t have a pic and I was too pissed when it happened to take one either. It broke maybe a mm or two from where the threads stop. i.e. all but a few threads were still in case. And it looked like a crisp break and not a twisted break if that makes any sense. That’s why I figured the threads beat the worn out bolt. Anyways thanks again

Bryan

• Like 1