Sign in to follow this  

Clock losing time when ignition is off

I have some weirdness with my DRZ clock. I've had a search, can't find a thread with similar problems so hoping for a bit of advice.

When the ignition is turned off on my DRZ, the clock stops. It doesn't reset to 12:00, it just freezes. So I am losing time and the thing is never reading right. Annoying! I'm happy to pull it off the bike and check for poor or broken connections but before I do is there anything else to try?

Some other info:

• Battery has recently been disconnected during my engine rebuild.
  • It's not displaying the timer. Shows "Clock".
  • Can be reset and keeps time until next ignition off.
  • I am not in the market for a TrailTech dash, before anyone says... 🙂

I've repaired it. Turned out to be the usual corrosion at D1 so all it took was cleaning the track and soldering a bridge across the damaged section. All very unsurprising and well documented here and other places, such as https://www.webbikeworld.com/suzuki-dr-z400s-clock-repair/ (although I would not bypass the diode as shown, it is there for a reason).

I posted this thread because my clock wasn't showing the usual symptom of resetting to 01:00 at each ignition off. It was freezing, maintaining the time at switch off and restarting the clock at switch on. Thinking about it, there might have been just enough current passing through the corrosion to maintain the time, but not to run the clock's oscillator circuit. Which, by the way, appears to be adjustable by way of a small on-board trimmer, so if your clock is working properly, but not keeping good time, you can fix it (by turning the trimmer and seeing the effect on the cock's accuracy; it's a trial and error thing but eventually you'll get it good enough).

• Like 2

Great post zee. That's what makes these forums so good, the sharing of info that saves money and keeps things from just being thrown in the garbage. Good on ya, but you stole my thunder with the Trail tech.The FIRST thing I would do if I got a new DRZ would be to install another Voyager dash, love all the info it gives and the simple GPS it has.

Cheers

Thanks bucket list! As you point out, for the cost of a couple of hours of tinkering I have saved £££s. I also restored the white paint on the lettering by the buttons as it'd all been rubbed off.

The TT dashboards are nice, but expensive. Especially the GPS ones. Having said that, if I didn't already have a TomTom Rider sat nav unit attached to my handlebars, I might consider it. But I like to keep my vehicles standard and that includes the dashboard (or, fit things that are reversible). My 13 year old SM has not been fooled around with, it has all original parts (save a few bolts which I am replacing with OEM items) and no 3x3 or rejetting that I know of. The engine rebuild was done using standard specification parts. There were a few aftermarket decals that looked proper crappy, these have all been removed and as a result it looks so much cleaner. I think the only non original thing on it are the handlebars (Renthal).

I do want a couple of things for it - adventure screen, rev counter, auxiliary power supply with USB charger, pannier racks and a comfy seat. Oops, that's five things. Tut, tut. See where the cash goes?