Spreading 2 stroke crank cases

Hi guys,

So i'm currently doing a ground up rebuild on my 2002 RM250. I have the whole engine stripped down and now have to just split the crank cases to remove the crank to get it split and have a new rod/big end fitted. My question is, do i need the spreader tool, or can i get away with some other technique? They're about 10mm apart (0.3 of an inch) i just assume they're tight on the bearings. Any ideas? Cheers! 

You need a crankcase puller. It winds into some of the boltholes around the crank and pushes against the crank to split it. Like this.

Crank%20Removal.jpg

DON'T wedge anything between the cases or you'll damage the mating surfaces!

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 1

Could you "get away" with something else? sure, no one with any respect to the build would recommend it if thats what your looking for, as death said damage of the mating surface is at risk.

also im a little confused, do you already have the case split a little? 10mm? and its just stuck at this point?

edit: rebuilt one of these 02 rm250s about 4 months ago

Edited by Dirtrat223

3 hours ago, melias24 said:

Hi guys,

So i'm currently doing a ground up rebuild on my 2002 RM250. I have the whole engine stripped down and now have to just split the crank cases to remove the crank to get it split and have a new rod/big end fitted. My question is, do i need the spreader tool, or can i get away with some other technique? They're about 10mm apart (0.3 of an inch) i just assume they're tight on the bearings. Any ideas? Cheers! 

I've used these to get them apart, buy them anywhere but going back together is a whole other ball game

Screenshot_20200707-074202.png

Edited by Smoking 2's

You dont need any of those tools but im not going there . Anyway when you get it apart be careful not to lose thrust washers.  Sometimes they stick to bearings and fall off without knowing.  Seen alot of newbs do that.  Your best bet would be to buy the splitter tool shown above . Just dont pry anything between cases

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1