Downhill mountain biking helmet for motorcross

Hello, I'm new here and new to dirt biking. 

I just bought my first bike, a 2001  bored out yz250f with a recluse auto clutch, and now I'm trying to put some gear together. In looking at boots, helmet and maybe knee pads from the research I've done I would feel safe with that. Might pick up pants and jersey if I find a good deal though but it's low priority. 

Anyway I already have a helmet. But its for downhill mountain biking is a top of the line BELL Super DH 3R. I'm looking at used gear and trying to keep on a budget. The speeds and type of riding is similar. I also know for a fact my helmet is in mint condition is well taken care of and has taken zero impacts. On the other hand buying a used mx helmet for under $100. 

Is riding around trails with my friends on my dirt bike that different from downhill mountain biking? Is it worth getting a possibilty lower quality mx helmet over my near new high-end DH helmet?

This is my helmet 

https://www.bellhelmets.com/bike/p/super-dh-mips-mountain-bike-helmet/100000000500000056.html

2 minutes ago, Diverdown said:

No.

Like no it's a horrible idea to use a DB helmet or no there is little difference between them?

34 minutes ago, isaactran said:

Hello, I'm new here and new to dirt biking. 

I just bought my first bike, a 2001  bored out yz250f with a recluse auto clutch, and now I'm trying to put some gear together. In looking at boots, helmet and maybe knee pads from the research I've done I would feel safe with that. Might pick up pants and jersey if I find a good deal though but it's low priority. 

Anyway I already have a helmet. But its for downhill mountain biking is a top of the line BELL Super DH 3R. I'm looking at used gear and trying to keep on a budget. The speeds and type of riding is similar. I also know for a fact my helmet is in mint condition is well taken care of and has taken zero impacts. On the other hand buying a used mx helmet for under $100. 

Is riding around trails with my friends on my dirt bike that different from downhill mountain biking? Is it worth getting a possibilty lower quality mx helmet over my near new high-end DH helmet?

This is my helmet 

https://www.bellhelmets.com/bike/p/super-dh-mips-mountain-bike-helmet/100000000500000056.html

For low speed tight technical riding here it’s super hot and there’s no or very little wind. Guys use a full face mountain bike helmet for that sometimes. It’s super vented.  But for MX? No way.. You get a good Dirtbike helmet. There are a bunch of great helmets for a hundred bucks or more. That’s a good price too. Some go up to 4,5 or 6 hundred for ex. You know putting on a full face dirt bike helmet is way better than a downhill mountain bike helmet. Go try some. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

7 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

For low speed tight technical riding here it’s super hot and there’s no or very little wind. Guys use a full face mountain bike helmet for that sometimes. It’s super vented.  But for MX? No way.. You get a good Dirtbike helmet. There are a bunch of great helmets for a hundred bucks or more. That’s a good price too. Some go up to 4,5 or 6 hundred for ex. You know putting on a full face dirt bike helmet is way better than a downhill mountain bike helmet. Go try some. 

I see. I guess I use Motocross interchangeably with "dirt biking" I don't really have any tracks in my area. Just riding trails with my buddies. Never really break 30 ish miles an hour which is about the same on my bicycle. Also to be clear the DH helmet I have is full face. 

So to clarify would you say that if I stay off the mx track and just do trail rides I shouldn't be putting my self in much danger but I should consider picking one up at a reasonable price if I want to get more into motorcross?

It might get you by for the time being but you really should get one that's meant for what your doing. Is the mountain bike helmet dot approved. If not then it's not going to give the protection a normal helmet would that it's meant for use at higher speeds. Just because most of the time you don't go above 30 doesn't mean you won't have times where you do. 

• Like 1

Just now, isaactran said:

I see. I guess I use Motocross interchangeably with "dirt biking" I don't really have any tracks in my area. Just riding trails with my buddies. Never really break 30 ish miles an hour which is about the same on my bicycle. Also to be clear the DH helmet I have is full face. 

So to clarify would you say that if I stay off the mx track and just do trail rides I shouldn't be putting my self in much danger but I should consider picking one up at a reasonable price if I want to get more into motocross?

I’d get a full face dirt bike helmet In your case.  . The protection is much better and you are learning. Go to a dirt bike shop and check out different helmets and compare to your mountain bike helmet. I feel better with more protection and quality protection. To start you should at least start with a motorcycle helmet. Get good boots and a chest protector and pants. I wear elbow pads too. ..and gloves etc. It feels way better to crash and have protection and get up not as injured as you would be otherwise. 

I don't wear full gear although I should but a good helmet, boots, and gloves I would never ride without. I have pants that have pads built in to them and I can tell the difference between a crash with them on and without for sure. Sometimes I wear a t- shirt when it's hot out and ive def regretted not having on a Jersey and pads.

1 hour ago, isaactran said:

Is riding around trails with my friends on my dirt bike that different from downhill mountain biking?

Is it worth getting a possibilty lower quality mx helmet over my near new high-end DH helmet?

I don't mean to be rude but you need to get a MX helmet. A metal motorized dirt bike weighing 200 lbs+ hits you in the head when you tumble on the trails is vastly different than a 15lbs mountain bike toppling over you, or another rider or quad coming blindly around a corner and smacks into you. 

I agree that's a great helmet for riding a mountain bike. Drop $100 for a new MX helmet.

• Like 1

Wow a lot of great points brought up. Thanks guys. If I was to put around $100 or less into a helmet should I get a new one or a used one. I was just looking and I saw a $700 helmet in good looking condition going for $150 does that sound better than buying a budget brand new helmet or is that actually more risky.

Just not sure how to best spend my money. I'm hoping to pick up some TCX EVO comps boots today 🙂

Although you have a really good MB helmet it is purpose built but it could well be better than some of the garbage out there used or new. BUT injury depends on how you fall so even the best gear could leave you injured. All you can do is mitigate the risk. MB Helmets are tested to different standards. If you want to know the difference between the helmets when it comes to testing take a read here....
Good MB helmets are tested mostly according to ASTM - F1952

https://helmets.org/f1952standard.htm

Motorcross Helmets are tested according to DOT(which In my opinion means very little) , ECE and SNELL ...good explanation here...I personally will not buy a helmet that is not Snell 2015 rated....I personally like MIPS and other similar systems too but fitment for me is always an issue.

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/motorcycle-helmet-faqs-dot-snell-and-ece

Hunt down a good deal on a good fitting MX helmet that is rated to your level of comfort and move on! 

Save it, spend it, and ride safe ! 

BOOTS: by the way I ride TCX boots and they are awesome ! 🙂 

Edited by Nigel18

While to an untrained eye, there might be very little difference between a DH Mtb helmet and one designed for dirt bike riding, I am sure that there is a significant difference and I would not risk injury over saving a few dollars.

If money is that tight, pick one sport and do that the right way, rather than two half-assed for lack of funds

1 hour ago, NYMXer said:

While to an untrained eye, there might be very little difference between a DH Mtb helmet and one designed for dirt bike riding, I am sure that there is a significant difference and I would not risk injury over saving a few dollars.

If money is that tight, pick one sport and do that the right way, rather than two half-assed for lack of funds

Yes, it's like riding one's polo ponies on a fox hunt, it simply isn't done. 🙄

• Like 1

Don't even think of buying a used helmet. Helmets are consumables, like tires and brake pads. One solid plunk on the helmet and replace it. Period. No excuses. When you throw the plunk'd helmet out, cut off the chin strap so no one is tempted to try to salvage it.

• Helpful 2

I would say no unless you have really done the research and are specifically going to use it for hard enduro single track stuff where you are going to be pushing the bike more than riding it. 

It seems in your case its more for general purpose use and I don't think you would want to be keeping it under 10mph due to helmet not being rated for going faster. 

Motorcycle helmets are only good for about 5 years before needing to be replaced and will typically have the manufactured date stamped on them. So if buying used at least make sure it is within that date, but problem is that you can't always see structural defects from an impact between the shell and the foam, so unless you just know the seller and that they got the wrong size or something and never crashed in it, it's very risky. 

Buy a dirt bike helmet.  Shop around and you can find a lot of them that are last year’s model at really low prices.  And never buy a used helmet.  Even if it looks new, you don’t know if it has been compromised in a crash or if it’s old and the foam has started to break down.  A helmet is the number one piece of protective equipment, and you shouldn’t cheap out on it.

If you were doing oberserved trials a DH helmet is fine, but anything faster (or heavier) and you'll want a proper helmet. Don't buy used; look for a new, inexpensive ECE rated lid. Snell is good too but the euro is more up to date. Also something to note if for some reason insurance becomes involved in an accident you for sure don't want them finding out you were not wearing a motorcycle approved helmet.