WR450F 2016 - GYTR Competition Kit (ECU)

Hello 😀

I have a WR450F from 2016 and bought the GYTR Competition KIT. After buying I got some doubts...

1. How many maps the bike can have configured? 1, 2, N? 
  2. If more than 1, how do you switch between them?

I'm asking this because later models have a map switch (sold sep.).

I have read some articles and I got the impression that the bike from 2016 can only have 1 map and to switch maps we have to use the Power Tuner. Is that right?

Does anyone know what's the values from the default GYTR ECU map

If anyone was some good informations, tips, etc about the ECU, please share 🙂

Thanks!

Helder

I own the newer model 2019 WR450F and owned a 2015 WR250F.  

Your bike will have just one map loaded at a time, and yes, the handlebar switch is not for your bike.  You'll need to load a new map with the blue Yamaha Tuner.  The Yam Tuner can store up to nine different maps and you can download a different map fairly quickly.  Quickly meaning, a couple of minutes.  The blue Yam tuner's operating scheme is a little awkward at first, but once you figure it out and use it a few times, things move pretty quickly.  Kinda amazing that Yamaha made that tuner 10 years ago and no other company has made anything like it thru 2020.  

The default ECU values should be all zeros. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BazookaJoe said:

I own the newer model 2019 WR450F and owned a 2015 WR250F.  

Your bike will have just one map loaded at a time, and yes, the handlebar switch is not for your bike.  You'll need to load a new map with the blue Yamaha Tuner.  The Yam Tuner can store up to nine different maps and you can download a different map fairly quickly.  Quickly meaning, a couple of minutes.  The blue Yam tuner's operating scheme is a little awkward at first, but once you figure it out and use it a few times, things move pretty quickly.  Kinda amazing that Yamaha made that tuner 10 years ago and no other company has made anything like it thru 2020.  

The default ECU values should be all zeros. 

Thanks for your time, you explained very well!

Basically, the GYTR ECU is the same as the stock ECU on installation right?

Have to search for a used tuner online, I live in Portugal and the price (new) + tax + customs are around $350.

Regards

I'm not sure how your bike will be with the new ECU.  I would bet you'll see a power boost just with the all zeros map

I do know that my 450's GYTR ECU was a step change when set at all zeros compared to the stock ECU.  And of course, the  mapping changes resulted in different engine power schemes. 

So with the Yam tuner tool, you will be able to tone the engine down at lower/higher rpms, or boost it up, or add some fuel to promote traction, and so on.   And, you can change maps for different riding spots or wet/dry conditions.  It's a really cool system. 

Watch for a used tuner.  The tuners have been out there for a while now, and the new bikes are tuned with a smart phone.  People are likely sitting on a tuner but don't need it.  Or ask around and maybe you can borrow one from somebody.   On my WR250F, I tuned it for best power and then left it there because I was often wringing its neck and didn't want to change to less power.  But, my buddies would use my tuner and then buy me lunch or give me some free beers. 

Edited by BazookaJoe

On 7/7/2020 at 6:36 PM, BazookaJoe said:

I'm not sure how your bike will be with the new ECU.  I would bet you'll see a power boost just with the all zeros map

I do know that my 450's GYTR ECU was a step change when set at all zeros compared to the stock ECU.  And of course, the  mapping changes resulted in different engine power schemes. 

So with the Yam tuner tool, you will be able to tone the engine down at lower/higher rpms, or boost it up, or add some fuel to promote traction, and so on.   And, you can change maps for different riding spots or wet/dry conditions.  It's a really cool system. 

Watch for a used tuner.  The tuners have been out there for a while now, and the new bikes are tuned with a smart phone.  People are likely sitting on a tuner but don't need it.  Or ask around and maybe you can borrow one from somebody.   On my WR250F, I tuned it for best power and then left it there because I was often wringing its neck and didn't want to change to less power.  But, my buddies would use my tuner and then buy me lunch or give me some free beers. 

Thanks for the feedback. I fell that my 2nd gear doesn't have power at low rpm.

Where I live, people ride almost 2stroke bikes. So, it will be difficult to catch a tuner... Even if I search in the country.