CRF230F/L CRF230M Off Road Wheels

Howdy!  Just picked up a really nice CRF230M with the idea of riding on both street and off road trails.  I'd like to pick up a second set of rims.  Any idea where I might source a set of rims for the CRF230L?  I've been over ebay and craigslist with no success yet.  If you happen to know what else fits right I would appreciate that information as well.  Safe riding!

This is what I have now.  I love this bike!

IMG_20200629_134709436_HDR.jpg

Unfortunately the L/M model was only sold in the US in 2008.  Due to this, they are very limited on everything - used part, aftermarket parts, OEM parts.  They are also a completely different than the 230F, including everything!  I don't know that there is a single thing that is interchangeable between the two.  I believe that Canada was also only a 1 year release.  It will be a very, very, very long shot to find used wheels.  Someone else might know what might fit but I believe you will still need some modification to fit it to your bike.  The XR200 might be close but it runs a drum brake in the rear, not a disk.  The L/M was/is sold in the UK and Asian countries (?).  You might have better luck looking at UK Ebay or UK parts suppliers.  Best of luck to you.

• Helpful 1

PartsFish.com has front plus rear for $883!

:ride:

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

have room in your garage for a second bike?  you wont have to change wheels to go play in the dirt. 

• Haha 2

I have a brand new front, and slightly used rear complete with tires in nice condition.  BUT,--- from a almost new CRF230f model.  The 2000 ish CRF has a rear drum brake.    How are you going to adapt from your disc>>>to the brake rod, and actuator arm? 

Do those L/M models have 17'' wheels?    I would just look for the most 'knobby' looking tire for your existing 17'' (?) set up.   Or, you could get  my 21'' front, and drop the forks in the triple clamp a bit...cause putting a 21'' on the front is going to raise the front a fair amount.  

Shame your'e on the East Coast, because they are expensive to ship.

Yikes.  They are a 17" front and back.  Here is what the difference look like for the front.  Almost a 4.5" difference.
image.png.6ff00f9dd7b9f2397eca60d18bc7de12.png

Here is the rear.  1.75" difference.
image.png.ca53372bfe0a42bba763341172f54252.png

• Like 1

Another note on the 21" front tire.  I don't think they run the same forks.  I believe the 230L/M has shorter travel on both the front and rear.

Best to find a half decent set of Dual Sport tires.  I ran a Shinko 80/20 on a DRZ400.  It was good on the pavement.  Sadly, I sold it before I got to hit the dirt.

2 minutes ago, GavMac78 said:

Yikes.  They are a 17" front and back.  Here is what the difference look like for the front.  Almost a 4.5" difference.
image.png.6ff00f9dd7b9f2397eca60d18bc7de12.png

Here is the rear.  1.75" difference.
image.png.ca53372bfe0a42bba763341172f54252.png

Picture worth 1000 words...   Thanks.     By the way,  footpegs are even welded on the L/M, not bolted like the CRF

2 minutes ago, slman said:

By the way,  footpegs are even welded on the L/M, not bolted like the CRF

They are two completely different bikes, from the ground up.

Cuter than Hell Grocery Getter, or 'Back' of the Motor Home bike.

20 hours ago, rocco61 said:

have room in your garage for a second bike?  you wont have to change wheels to go play in the dirt. 

I second this statement.  Switching constantly would be a PIA.

don't know much about the L/M series, but I did look hard in an attempt to get a rear disc brake on the F.  I did notice that the L/M uses fewer spokes than the F (and for the dirt work im doing the stock F is neat its limits).. so I dropped the idea completely...

So im the 3rd vote for a second bike...