Loss of torque after slip on?

I just bought a two bro’s slip on for 100 dollars, I couldn’t pass it up. After installing I noticed a decrease in torque, is this normal or am I tripping?

Carb is rejetted for slip on and 3x3 mod

160 Main, 22.5 pilot, Blue needle third clip

All responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you 

B5D790FA-D76C-43CB-BB77-CDFC72245263.jpeg

Yes, this has happened to me.

You might have to play with needle height to try and gain some back.

You might not though. I tried everything- needle, mains, pilot...nothing could make it pull up in 2nd again!

I ended up putting a small baffle in the muffler. Then it was ok  🙂

4 minutes ago, Tony Wyp said:

Yes, this has happened to me.

You might have to play with needle height to try and gain some back.

You might not though. I tried everything- needle, mains, pilot...nothing could make it pull up in 2nd again!

I ended up putting a small baffle in the muffler. Then it was ok  🙂

Man, I’m running 14/41 and the front wheel comes up sometimes in first. I remember the stock would just fling up. Anyways I just ordered a p1x dB killer for the slip on, hopefully that mitigates The loss

Just now, Roman Leal said:

Man, I’m running 14/41 and the front wheel comes up sometimes in first. I remember the stock would just fling up. Anyways I just ordered a p1x dB killer for the slip on, hopefully that mitigates The loss

Im running 16:39, FCR40 🙂 cams, 434

Good luck. I think it will work.

34 minutes ago, Tony Wyp said:

Im running 16:39, FCR40 🙂 cams, 434

Good luck. I think it will work.

Cams is next on the list. I’m not sure about the fcr, I want to try and fit the Mx fcr to my drz, I’ve heard people doing. It but I haven’t found someone with a in depth how-to.

7 minutes ago, Roman Leal said:

Cams is next on the list. I’m not sure about the fcr, I want to try and fit the Mx fcr to my drz, I’ve heard people doing. It but I haven’t found someone with a in depth how-to.

I have in depth how to. 😄

Cams make the biggest difference. You can leave the rest.

I used 2nd hand DRZ400 E cams.

20 minutes ago, Roman Leal said:

There is a pretty in depth how to in the FAQS.

Don't bother with cams if you have a Mikuni carb.  Replacing it with anything larger in a much larger gain.

Did you take the $100 Two Bros apart to make sure there was nothing dumb going on?  My 1st ever mod was the 3x3 DynoJet jet kit and White Bros E3 slip on. It was a noticable gain everywhere compared to stock.  

3 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Don't bother with cams if you have a Mikuni carb.  Replacing it with anything larger in a much larger gain.

Did you take the $100 Two Bros apart to make sure there was nothing dumb going on?  My 1st ever mod was the 3x3 DynoJet jet kit and White Bros E3 slip on. It was a noticable gain everywhere compared to stock.  

Cams and big bore are FINE on the mikuni.

Have you tried it ?

....and you dont need a jet kit either.

Edited by Tony Wyp

1 minute ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

The exhaust is brand new, he only had it on for 2 weeks because he was tired of how loud it is lol. I don’t know why he didn’t buy a dB kill but instead he went with an Fmf. My first mod was the 3x3 but with the stock exhaust, and it was noticeable on the bump in torque. With the slip on, you can feel more power on the top end. 

3 minutes ago, Roman Leal said:

The exhaust is brand new, he only had it on for 2 weeks because he was tired of how loud it is lol. I don’t know why he didn’t buy a dB kill but instead he went with an Fmf. My first mod was the 3x3 but with the stock exhaust, and it was noticeable on the bump in torque. With the slip on, you can feel more power on the top end. 

Interesting.  That's pretty unimpressive it cannot outperform stock.

3 minutes ago, Roman Leal said:

Yes I put holes in my airbox and gutted my stanard muffler 14 years ago. 25% hp and 25%  better fuel economy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Maybe ours flow different, I have a M7 with just a spark arrestor. I just ordered a db killer to see if it’ll help out. 

7 minutes ago, Tony Wyp said:

Cams and big bore are FINE on the mikuni.

Have you tried it ?

....and you dont need a jet kit either.

God no! That's blasphemy.  I'm sure it runs just fine.  However, you're not going to realize the full benefit of either mod without a larger carburetor. The same or less money for 434 kit and cams will buy an FCR and give you a better performing machine. 

15 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

6 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

God no! That's blasphemy.  I'm sure it runs just fine.  However, you're not going to realize the full benefit of either mod without a larger carburetor. The same or less money for 434 kit and cams will buy an FCR and give you a better performing machine. 

Only bible readers believe in blasphemy 🙂

Mate, I have done everything.

I have an FCR40 and a TM42 that I use on the bike. The 42 gives more power than the 40.

I swap back to my BSR36 for long distance economy.

I run 16:39 gearing and it pulls up in 2nd gear, no clutching, with the 36.

Go figure

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roman Leal said:

I just bought a two bro’s slip on for 100 dollars, I couldn’t pass it up. After installing I noticed a decrease in torque, is this normal or am I tripping?

Carb is rejetted for slip on and 3x3 mod

160 Main, 22.5 pilot, Blue needle third clip

All responses are greatly appreciated. Thank you 

B5D790FA-D76C-43CB-BB77-CDFC72245263.jpeg

Here are my 3 carbs

20200707_220922.jpg

1 hour ago, Roman Leal said:

Photo of a slant carb I have done up. 

This how it will look on your bike.

20191222_200048.jpg

20191130_145702.jpg

Edited by Tony Wyp

3 minutes ago, Tony Wyp said:

I have an FCR40 and a TM42 that I use on the bike. The 42 gives more power than the 40.

Go figure

I've tried 8 cams, 5 carburetors, 3 CDIs, 4 exhausts. 15/38 pulls up right up in 4th at 55 mph, 75 mph in fifth stand ups and Bob's your uncle mate.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tony Wyp said:

Go figure

I'm with @ohiodrz400sm the carb makes make a big difference.  I came from a background riding offload E versions here in NZ.  These are fitted with the FCR 39 and E cams.  I wondered what I had struck when I first got the SM with the BSR and crappy cams.  My first upgrade was to a full Yoshi RS2 system and I had hells' own trying to get the bike to run right -even jetted.  I bit the bullet and fitted fuel injection (A long time project) to the SM and haven't looked back.

Just now, roleyrev said:

I'm with @ohiodrz400sm the carb makes make a big difference.  I came from a background riding offload E versions here in NZ.  These are fitted with the FCR 39 and E cams.  I wondered what I had struck when I first got the SM with the BSR and crappy cams.  My first upgrade was to a full Yoshi RS2 system and I had hells' own trying to get the bike to run right -even jetted.  I bit the bullet and fitted fuel injection (A long time project) to the SM and haven't looked back.

The cams made the biggest difference on my bike.

3 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I've tried 8 cams, 5 carburetors, 3 CDIs, 4 exhausts. 15/38 pulls up right up in 4th at 55 mph, 75 mph in fifth stand ups and Bob's your uncle mate.

That sounds like a pentagonal 5 cylinder DRZ using 8 cams and 3.2 valves per cylinder, 1 two into 1 exhaust and three separate runners. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1