xl350 12v conversion upgrade

so i have had this 74 honda xl350 for about 5 years turning it into a cafe racer. Everytime i get to do the electrical it puts a halt in my plans. I want to convert it to 12v but I was wondering if anyone has converted it to a newer style stator? Any positive input would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Im kinda new to building bikes but not new to turning wrenches. Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, SSG Murica said:

so i have had this 74 honda xl350 for about 5 years turning it into a cafe racer. Everytime i get to do the electrical it puts a halt in my plans. I want to convert it to 12v but I was wondering if anyone has converted it to a newer style stator? Any positive input would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Im kinda new to building bikes but not new to turning wrenches. Thanks in advance.

Ricky stater might have the infos you require....

26 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Ricky stater might have the infos you require....

No they are old and original and I can't find any info on them at all. But I want to upgrade to a newer style 12v stator

SSG,

I converted my '76 XL350 to a 12 volt system with electronic ignition.  Here is the link to where I purchased it from:  https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?RANDOM=NETQUOTEVAR%3ARANDOM&PAGE=SEARCH&SS=honda+xl350k+&TB=A&PR=-1&GB=A&ACTION=Search&SO=1_3_4_0

It's not inexpensive but it causes the bike to start much easier than the 6 volt system.  The new system replaces the stator coils, ignition coil and eliminates the points.  You'll have to replace the battery ( I used a similar sized 12 volt closed cell security battery and made short jumper leads that plug into the blade type battery terminals), and the light bulbs (preferably led's [ not a real high output system to keep the battery charged if there is too much current draw but it does work. I personally don't drive after dark if I don't have to, but do ride with the headlight on during the day.], headlight still runs off the stator not the battery, and only works while the motor is running).  I purchased a 5 3/4 dia. headlight lens with a replaceable H-4 bulb and plug from "Octane Lighting" and used spray-in foam insulation (rattle can) to mount it in the original headlight rim.

Mark

• Helpful 1

5 hours ago, XL350-258 said:

SSG,

I converted my '76 XL350 to a 12 volt system with electronic ignition.  Here is the link to where I purchased it from:  https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?RANDOM=NETQUOTEVAR%3ARANDOM&PAGE=SEARCH&SS=honda+xl350k+&TB=A&PR=-1&GB=A&ACTION=Search&SO=1_3_4_0

It's not inexpensive but it causes the bike to start much easier than the 6 volt system.  The new system replaces the stator coils, ignition coil and eliminates the points.  You'll have to replace the battery ( I used a similar sized 12 volt closed cell security battery and made short jumper leads that plug into the blade type battery terminals), and the light bulbs (preferably led's [ not a real high output system to keep the battery charged if there is too much current draw but it does work. I personally don't drive after dark if I don't have to, but do ride with the headlight on during the day.], headlight still runs off the stator not the battery, and only works while the motor is running).  I purchased a 5 3/4 dia. headlight lens with a replaceable H-4 bulb and plug from "Octane Lighting" and used spray-in foam insulation (rattle can) to mount it in the original headlight rim.

Mark

Thanks Mark I will look into that. I was planning on going full LED anyways.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently purchased and installed the same kit from electrexworld. I also had some difficulty initially with installing the new stator/cover. What I found was that the foot peg mount was the issue. When I removed the foot peg it fit perfectly. The new stator has a much tighter clearance on the flywheel and does not allow the cover to clear. Hopefully this helps others.

1978 Honda Xl350