2015 YZ250F or 2015 250SX

I have a good price on both bikes, they’re both 2015s and i want to know what you guys think would be the best for me? I’ve never really rode a 2 stroke, i’ve only used 4 strokes, i’m 5’11, 180LB 

A lot depends on how good a rider you are, and how much money you want to spend.

Regarding skill, the SX is going to be far more powerful, and much more of a handful to ride.  If you have the ability to deal with the power, it will be a rewarding experience.  The 250f is going to be a lot smoother and easier to ride.  

Regarding expense, the SX is going to be super cheap to own.  Mine was one of the most reliable dirt bikes I ever owned.  Top-end kits were about $145, and anybody that can turn a wrench can install it.  Your biggest expense with the SX is likely to be rear tires!   On the other hand, any 4 stroke is going to be more expensive and difficult to own and maintain in the long run.  Some aspects of maintenance take considerable skill, there are many more parts to deal with when you rebuild.  There is also the distinct possibility of "catastrophic" engine failure, where the repairs cost more than the bike is worth.

When I owned my SX, I was using it for hare scrambles and raced it very successfully in vet age group classes.  However, I suspect that I probably would have done a little better with a 250f, as they are just easier to deal with over a 2 hour race.  But for me, as a weekend rider/racer, the advantages of the smoker were clear, as they are just so much easier to own and maintain.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, rpt50 said:

A lot depends on how good a rider you are, and how much money you want to spend.

Regarding skill, the SX is going to be far more powerful, and much more of a handful to ride.  If you have the ability to deal with the power, it will be a rewarding experience.  The 250f is going to be a lot smoother and easier to ride.  

Regarding expense, the SX is going to be super cheap to own.  Mine was one of the most reliable dirt bikes I ever owned.  Top-end kits were about $145, and anybody that can turn a wrench can install it.  Your biggest expense with the SX is likely to be rear tires!   On the other hand, any 4 stroke is going to be more expensive and difficult to own and maintain in the long run.  Some aspects of maintenance take considerable skill, there are many more parts to deal with when you rebuild.  There is also the distinct possibility of "catastrophic" engine failure, where the repairs cost more than the bike is worth.

When I owned my SX, I was using it for hare scrambles and raced it very successfully in vet age group classes.  However, I suspect that I probably would have done a little better with a 250f, as they are just easier to deal with over a 2 hour race.  But for me, as a weekend rider/racer, the advantages of the smoker were clear, as they are just so much easier to own and maintain.  

This basically sums a lot up. 😉 I would say 250sx for your body, you don't have the wear that out like a 250f.

Only thing i want to say is that they are 2 completely different bikes and if you are used to 4-strokes it can take some time to adapt to a 2-stroke. 

I rode 2-strokes my whole life and i feel like i'm riding a semi-truck on a 4-stroke. So i always come back to 2-stroke because i find it more enjoyable to ride. 🙂 What i'm trying to say is maybe your a 4-stroke rider, but you have to try to know what suits you best.

I really like my 250sx! 😉  

Depends on your riding experience. But because you needed to ask this question I would buy the 4 stroke or wait for a 125. I thought i could handle a 250 2t with 1 year riding experience. I was wrong. Sold it and got myself a sx150. 250 4t is a good ride for ervery one. I sold it because of maintanaince and the love for 2 strokes. But the kx250f i had was a great bike. Fast enough for most. 250 2t was way to much tot handle for me and I am 200lbs. Those bikes are no joke.