Chinese made riding gear (& bikes) - a good or bad thing?

KTM will be making their adventure bikes in China from now on. It will be interesting to see if and when some of the dirt bike manufacturing moves from Austria to China too. Many believe a lot of the enduro parts are already made in China (but I haven't been able to confirm this).

And while Chinese brands of motorbikes have often been complete crap, some now have quite good quality for the price, such as the GPX branded Chinese dirt bikes. 

Do you think the country of manufacture is a consideration when buying a dirt bike or riding gear? Or is it just getting needlessly political? Just asking as China has not been behaving very well on the international stage lately. And it looks as though about two thirds of our riding gear is now made in China. Motorbike boots are a good example.

Boots made in China?
Fox, Moose, Acerbis, Oneal, Oxtar, Fly, Thor and TCX.

Non-Chinese manufactured boots:
Garne - made in Italy
Dianese - made in Tunisia
Alpinestar - made in Croatia or Thailand
Forma - made in Romania
Sidi - made in Romania (SRS Crossfire in Italy).

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2

Personally I don't like the commie bastards, but that 20 dollar carberretor fixed my grandsons outlaw 50!

It is what it is ... at the moment 

Almost everything is manufactured in China.

• Sad 1

That s the problem :made in China 🇨🇳 

i do a restauration and everything I can buy Made in USA 🇺🇸 

barnett , vintage Suzuki seat and foam for my RM 500 

sticker , foot pegs , Forma boots 

others stuff for my bike are Mede in 🇬🇧 

i prefer to paye more , but the price are Very closely 

Edited by Nicolas Dorais
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Nicolas Dorais said:

That s the problem :made in China 🇨🇳 
i do a restauration and everything I can buy Made in USA 🇺🇸 
barnett , vintage Suzuki seat and foam for my RM 500 
sticker , foot pegs , Forma boots 

Actually Forma boots are made in Romania (despite being an Italian brand) but generally the quality is very good for a mid-priced boot. 

About two thirds of boot brands are made in China as far as I can work out: Fox, Thor, Oxtar, Acerbis, TCX, Fly and Oneal for starters.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I recently gambled on new bikes for my daughter and wife and went with Chinese. Both bikes are GPX/Pitster Pro’s. I just received the MXR 90 for my daughter last week and for a kids trail bike the bike exceeded my expectations. She has had a pw50, KTM 50 mini and TTR50. This bike is made just as well if not better that the Yamahas.

It has good working disc brakes, real suspension, aluminum wheels, electric start and decent nobbies for half the price of the TTR50. And it weighs less. The plastics are definitely not as resilient as the Name brand bikes, but I’ll take that trade-off because the TTR50 was so lean from the factory that it would take 20 minutes to warm up, the PW always started and ran well, but the suspension is violent. The KTM 50 is the biggest POS I have ever owned, unreliable junk honestly. This bike should bridge the gap nicely between the TTR/PW 50 and a 110 or 65cc kids bike. It starts super easy and revs to the top without fault. 

I ordered the GPX250S for my wife, which is a super-mini sized frame and wheels matched to a 230cc, air-cooled, electric start motor. It won’t be here for a couple more weeks so we shall see. 

In my opinion, the Japanese play/trail bikes are very similar to the Chinese quality anyhow. 

I am more concerned about the chicken I put in my mouth. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

10 minutes ago, crypto666 said:

I am more concerned about the chicken I put in my mouth. 

I need to live many more years before my brain stops ticking. And it won't be due to a drumstick.

• Like 2

Makes you wonder
why all these nations don't remedy inflation and cost of living so that they don't have to move production outside their nations...

It all depends on the manufacturer and their commitment to maintaining quality over simple cost reduction. I wouldn’t purchase a Chinese made, reverse engineered knock off Honda or KTM but won’t light my hair on fire over Chinese components being used in my Italian motorcycle. I remember people freaking out over Kawasaki moving assembly of some models to Thailand, which turned out to be all about nothing. Same goes for KTM and their partnership with Bajaj. Without it, the low cost entry level models like the 390 Duke wouldn’t be possible. 

Global manufacturing is only going to continue expanding. The main issue in all of this is the working conditions in some of these places and the governments that allow it to happen. Best thing you can do is do your research and purchase accordingly. 

Edited by Grimlock
Speeling.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Grimlock said:

...I remember people freaking out over Kawasaki moving assembly of some models to Thailand, which turned out to be all about nothing. Same goes for KTM and their partnership with Bajaj. Without it, the low cost entry level models like the 390 Duke wouldn’t be possible....

Same here, I had no issue with an Indian built KTM 390 if the quality was reasonable for the price charged. I do think it's a pity though that instead of increasing production in a democratic country like India (which has far more poverty than China), they are moving so much of their production to China instead. And quite a few of the components on the 'made in Austria' dirt bikes are still made in China. A guy told me his 500EXC fuel pump went early, and the genuine replacement part has 'made in China' on it. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, OZ DRZ said:

Same here, I had no issue with an Indian built KTM 390 if the quality was reasonable for the price charged. I do think it's a pity though that instead of increasing production in a democratic country like India (which has far more poverty than China), they are moving so much of their production to China instead. And quite a few of the components on the 'made in Austria' dirt bikes are still made in China. A guy told me his 500EXC fuel pump went early, and the genuine replacement part has 'made in China' on it. 

You make a very good point there, especially with KTM’s relationship with Bajaj. I think corporations should really focus on working conditions and overall human rights in regards to governments instead of just cost slashing when it comes to shifting production to other areas. Makes me wonder what their reasoning is. I know Indian companies have had rocky relationships when partnering with the likes of Honda and EBR. However, the same could be said with German companies working with Japanese manufacturers (Suzuki and VW). 

• Like 1

Do not encourage them, don't buy their stuff, if can help it. I don't. 

YZ's still made in Japan. 🤗. ( a not communist country ).

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

I'm done buying any Chinese made products. By turning a blind eye and buying their products, we're facilitating (through finance) their brutal treatment of people. 

Every $20 Chinese carburetor we buy puts $15 in the pockets of communists that hate us. We're literally arming a military that wants to destroy our country and way of life. 

I'll pay the extra cash to buy from anyone but China. 

Of course I've bought Chinese products in the past, I'm just done making that mistake. And if KTM is moving production to China, I've bought my last KTM.

• Like 8
  • Helpful 1

You guys keep giving China grief

Forget China

They don't hate you - they're enjoying the new FDI 

You should focus on why your beloved US, Germany, England, nations are moving production overseas

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

I'll always avoid buying from China anytime I have a choice for political reasons. 

As far as quality goes, its really going to depend on how good the company controlling the manufacturing is doing QA and watching every step in the process. 

The problem is that China has a culture of cheating in general, and when you take a factory worker who is basically treated like a slave, assuming they aren't actual slaves, they don't give two shits if that bolt inside the engine was torqued properly or if that metal was heat treated correctly. The investment-bank owned business isn't going to care as long as the cost of doing warranties and lawsuits doesn't exceed their profit margins.  

• Like 3

From what I could figure out from KTM quality I thought they always were built in China. :thinking:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 4

India is the new China. China is a slowly sinking ship.

I predict, KTM, and many other brands, pulling out of China, very soon.

Thanks for making the video @OZ DRZ. It needed to be made 👍

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, Drop-Bear said:

India is the new China. China is a slowly sinking ship.
I predict, KTM, and many other brands, pulling out of China, very soon.
Thanks for making the video @OZ DRZ. It needed to be made 👍

The bizarre thing is KTM has had various bikes made in India for a few years now, I can't see why they didn't just expand production within India instead of going to China as well. 

I would much rather see them involved with a democratic country that actually has far more poverty than China and could really use some extra investment. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes...

• Like 2