Can someone please tell me what this part is?

Underneath the seat on top of the fender and next to the airbox, there's this orange three-prong connector plugged into a black cube that looks like some sort of relay.  See the pics.  The black cube/relay has a metal tab with a hole in it that is secured with a nut onto a bolt that comes through the fender from underneath.

The orange plug has some taped up wires with ring terminals that connect directly to the battery.  These wires include an inline 30-amp fuse (see pic).  There are also some other wires that lead to somewhere under the gas tank.  I can't yet determine where these lead to.

Anyway, the bike is a 2016, and I bought it used 16 months ago.  It's run perfectly until a few days ago when it wouldn't start after washing it.  I'm trying to determine if this orange plug and black cube are OEM parts.  They don't appear to be, but I have no idea what they are. I tried to unplug the orange connector from the black relay, but it is on a really odd angle and also sits directly under that section of the frame, making it nearly impossible to disconnect.  Do you guys have these parts underneath your seat?  I'm stumped.  Thanks in advance. 

CRF-1.jpg

CRF-2.jpg

CRF-3.jpg

Edited by Ocaptainmycaptain

9 hours ago, CoronaCarl said:

That's not factory, your gonna have to trace the wires to figure out what's at the other end.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.  I will do that.

I'm starting to suspect my starting issue could be a dead battery.  I want to jump start the bike by connecting a pair of jumper cables directly to the the bike's positive and negative leads, but not sure if I should also somehow attach the leads to this mystery part, as I don't know what it is, but appears to be somewhat important. 

44 minutes ago, Ocaptainmycaptain said:

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.  I will do that.

I'm starting to suspect my starting issue could be a dead battery.  I want to jump start the bike by connecting a pair of jumper cables directly to the the bike's positive and negative leads, but not sure if I should also somehow attach the leads to this mystery part, as I don't know what it is, but appears to be somewhat important. 

If your gonna jump start it, just hook to the battery. Anything that needs power will get it from there.

Also the orange block is just a pigtail.

Thanks CC. 

I resolved my starting issue - dead battery.  I was tricked into thinking that just because the battery tender showed the battery was fully charged that the battery was actually good.  I removed the battery and jump started the bike by hooking the jumper cables directly to the positive and negative battery cables coming off the bike.  Bike fired right up.

Turns out that the orange connector/plug was just a couple of accessory connectors that were taped up and zip-tied up front near the steering tube.  Even though it was connected directly to the battery and had a 30-amp inline fuse, it actually wasn't connected to anything.  So I may just remove this when I install a new battery.

Appreciate your input on this.  :cheers:

Edited by Ocaptainmycaptain

1 hour ago, CoronaCarl said:

Cool.

Maybe PO used it for a phone/GPS charger.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.  Or maybe auxiliary lights.