Front fork retrofit

So I’ve got an old IT400 and have been thinking of the idea of swapping out the front shocks for something newer, mostly to go to a disc brake up front. I know that the stock diameter is 36mm and I imagine something very similar in size would work. I’m a teenager working a minimum wage job so money is a little restricting on what I can afford. Used/parted out would be fine by me. Any ideas on what/where to look?

You're kinda stuck if you're gonna keep the stock triple clamps. ITs had some of the best damper rod forks around. Maybe see if racetech do an emulator kit for them. Drum brakes are fine, just gotta maintain them more, keep 'em clean and adjusted. You could probably fit a YZ twin leading shoe setup in there, but I can't tell you that for sure.

XT225 forks are 36mm and probably about the right length, not sure on the spacing though, you'd have to measure 'em. I doubt as forks they'd be any better (or even as good) as the IT one's, but they do have a disk.

Really the way to go if you want real improvement is to change out the triple clamps and go to a newer complete front end, but most of them will be much taller than the IT forks, so you'd be riding a chopper unless you shortened them or raised the rear to suit, which would create a whole lot more issues.

Good luck.

Bruce's Suspension.  He specializes in old suspension design. He can get those dialed in.

?action=thumb&id=86412&w=800

XR400 fork with YZ '83/84 triple clamps

Plug&play

You can keep the disc brake of the XR, if wanted

jeanjean

Edited by djidji
  • Like 1