Shorten CRF450r Forks for XL Tracker

Any one have detailed instructions rebuilding, valuing and shortening 2003 CRF450R Forks ?

all I can find is a hi speed video with no info.  

thanks

You should probably go ask this question in the 450R forum, as you've got a lot better odds of finding someone there that has done that to build a 450R flat tracker than you do of someone in here doing a similar build with an old XL.

I've been in lots of Showa TT forks, but I've never shortened them up.  Rebuilding/valving them isn't much different than anything else. 

Thought you guys would be shortening them more then the 450 guys.   

Most doing USD conversions aren't doing them to make the bike closer to the ground 99% of the time (you are the 1%!).  I did the USD conversion because I was tired of leaving rub marks on my headpipe from the forks flexing so much the front tire was hitting the exhaust.

All the bikes I've lowered for people don't need to go far. Shorten up the shock to drop the seat 3/4 inch (usually an 8mm spacer inside does the trick) and balance it out by sliding the forks up in the clamps.

For what you want to do, you need to find the flat track/DTX guys with 450s or better yet post up in the suspension specific section as someone there can probably help you out. You will get a lot larger cross section of eyeballs seeing the post that may know how to talk you through the necessary steps.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, eastreich said:

All the bikes I've lowered for people don't need to go far. Shorten up the shock to drop the seat 3/4 inch (usually an 8mm spacer inside does the trick) and balance it out by sliding the forks up in the clamps.

Yep.  My tiny 5'3" GF could ride the XL with the rear preload set at 0 & forks dropped til they hit the handlebars.

Granted, she still couldn't start it...:-)

Edited by RFVC600