OTD real world price

Hello,

This is my first post.  I have ridden dirt bikes since I was 7, I'm 44 now.  I just recently bought a 2020 KLX 300r.  I bought my son a CRF50 to learn on.  It has become pretty apparent that he needs a bigger bike,  so he's really wanting a KLX 110 or 110L.  With the Covid, the supply of bikes around here is non-existent.  I've been cruising FB marketplace,  which is like hitting your head against a wall.  There are people asking well over MSRP on a 2020 for bikes that are 10+ years old.  My question is this,  what are you all paying for these bikes OTD?  I don't understand why people seem to think these bikes don't depreciate?  Why would anyone buy a bike that is 5-12 years old for the same price as a new one?  After trying several times to unsuccessfully to buy one off of marketplace,  I've decided the logical thing to do is to wait for a 2021 and buy new.  If you don't mind me asking,  what have you recently paid,  or heard people have paid for one OTD?  I've seen two used 2020's,  one is a Yamaha TTR 110 with an MSRP of 2200 for sale for 3k.  Are these people insane,  or is that what they are paying with fees and taxes?

Thanks!

Have you tried Cycle Trader? There are 19 of them 'near' me.

I did the same thing as you diligently for over a year in Colorado. 2-5 year old bikes $200 over msrp, cases worn, levers broke. Some were cherry but over msrp, I think I paid $2100 which was msrp early 2019, used bikes 10 years old were asking $1900 with a lot of miles, sat outdoors, plastics all modified or painted. It doesnt make any sense. So I got mine new, the salesman was a great regular guy, tried to budge him on price, he said they couldnt and I get it with the market, but he threw in some shop stuff, shirts, made me feel like I got a little better deal. I didn't worry about buying new as when I go to sell it, I won't lose much if any, and the peace of mind that it has not been modified by some teen, adult, or honestly trying kid, is a bonus. Mine was a 2019 KLX110, the lower model with no clutch lever. Of course new you have to pay taxes, etc., so you are out that money over used.

It’s because mini’s are really popular rite now. Teens and adults are buying them and putting “big boy” parts on them. They are very fun to ride in a small area. Any brand 110cc bike is fetching top dollar. If you can even find one brand new, it will be very close to the price of a used bike. 

4 hours ago, DaveCR said:

Have you tried Cycle Trader? There are 19 of them 'near' me.

I have, somewhat.  What I have found is that most of the ads, and even the manufacturer searches from their website are not updated.  My guess is that if you have 10 bikes in your area that are reasonably priced,  you're lucky to find 1 that is actually for sale.  I'm in KY,  and if you don't see it actually hit the market, it's gone.  I've even had a guy sell the bike after we had set up the deal and were scheduled to do the transaction.  My guess is that someone called him and offered more than he was asking.  Either way,  it looks like I'm going to have to buy new,  because I don't have the time to check marketplace or Craigslist every 30 min.

Honestly the issue right now is the government gave everyone on unemployment an extra 600$. Everyone was off work and was spending money like it wasn’t theirs. I just sold my 2012 husqvarna for 1000$ more than I paid for it 2 years ago. I planned to replace it with a klx 300R and I can’t find one anywhere! Every dirtbike shop near me is totally out of bikes of all sizes, and marketplace prices are through the roof but people are paying it since they have easy money. Supply and demand unfortunately. I’ll probably be in the same boat as you waiting for things to get a little more normal!