Beta2Stroke 300 Battery Life with fan

Wanted to get some thoughts on this. Doing a couple hard enduros in the next month and was curious to hear other experiences with the battery life when running the fan setup. Was considering unplugging the lights to decrease the power draw some. I wouldn't be as concerned with a back up kicker, but I am not sure if it is needed.

light runs on AC, will have no bearing on the DC side of the charging circuit. we have a fan kit on one bike, and that bike also gets a lot of restarts. No issues with battery drain. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

This is interesting because I have a Lithium Ion battery and I have to be careful with it out on the trail. It has died a couple of times on me. I have a 2019 Beta 390 RRS with the fan and street lights connected. I have thought long and hard about installing a kick starter. Could be something wrong with my battery's ability to take a charge as well. I have a lithium ion trickle charger that I connect now when the bike is being stored and everything has been good since.

9 hours ago, Rob_390RR said:

This is interesting because I have a Lithium Ion battery and I have to be careful with it out on the trail. It has died a couple of times on me. I have a 2019 Beta 390 RRS with the fan and street lights connected. I have thought long and hard about installing a kick starter. Could be something wrong with my battery's ability to take a charge as well. I have a lithium ion trickle charger that I connect now when the bike is being stored and everything has been good since.

Thanks for the feedback, and depending how Bad Medicine and Battle of the Goats go, I may be in the market for a kick starter as well. I will post back after the races with an update on how the battery held up. 

On the two-strokes the bike's 12 volt battery only runs the e-start circuit.  Everything else electrical on the bike operates off of stator-powered AC or rectified DC voltage once the engine is running.  (I don't know about the 4T bikes.)

In the summertime I bypass the radiator temperature switch with a jumper wire, so my fan runs nonstop whenever my engine is running.

spacer.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wwguy said:

On the two-strokes the bike's 12 volt battery only runs the e-start circuit.  Everything else electrical on the bike operates off of stator-powered AC or rectified DC voltage once the engine is running.  (I don't know about the 4T bikes.)

In the summertime I bypass the radiator temperature switch with a jumper wire, so my fan runs nonstop whenever my engine is running.

spacer.pngThat’s a great idea, never thought about that!

On 7/9/2020 at 10:38 AM, wwguy said:

spacer.png

Is the stator still stock and haven’t upgraded or did anything to it to handle it ?

16 hours ago, Cje3216 said:

Is the stator still stock and haven’t upgraded or did anything to it to handle it ?

Stock stator + stock fan = stock electrical load.  No changes to stator required.

• Like 1

If you're concerned about the dc draw, you could just hook the fan to ac feed and use a bridge rectifier in between to convert it to dc. There's plenty of ac current available even when running the stock headlight

• Like 1

Well I just got done with bad medicine hard enduro and found out I probably need a back up kicker. At one point I even unplugged my fan to try to get some extra life out of the fan, but it never charged all the way up. Suffice to say I spent a lot of the race going down obstacles I just completed just to pop start the bike and then do the obstacle again.

On 7/9/2020 at 12:38 PM, wwguy said:

spacer.png

Good info on the 2s  a/c & dc  operation.

RE: 4s, ....with FI....it's 100% DC

I replaced the stock battery (never pulled it out of the box actually) with a 5Ah battery from the very beginning at my Beta dealer's advice. We do a lot of hard enduro events here sometimes upwards of 5 hours in the woods and never had an issue with starting the bike. My bike is a 2020 300 RE. 

Edited by droom