Advice for new valves

I'm about to pull the trigger and order a new 2019 cylinder head to replace the one I bricked a month back...

Which brings me to choosing new valves, springs, cams combo.

The bike supposedly had hotcams in it, but I see no markings on the cams to indicate that...needless to say I roasted the journal on my intake cam so I figure replace them as a set. (Exhaust otherwise appears to look ok)

What valves/cams combo for my 434? I was thinking just stock springs and valves and a new set of the hotcams...

KT

Would stock springs/valves work ok with stg2 hotcam intake and e-cam on exhaust side?

You can use stock valves and springs with Hotcams. They're not radical by any means and not too dissimilar to stock E cams.

If you're going to replace the valves I would upgrade to Ferrea with stock springs.  

Just now, ohiodrz400sm said:

You can use stock valves and springs with Hotcams. They're not radical by any means and not too dissimilar to stock E cams.

If you're going to replace the valves I would upgrade to Ferrea with stock springs.  

I read something about the Ferrea valves and NOT lapping them in during install. I think I may just send the new head off to have all the springs and whatnot installed...although I'd like to do it myself...just for the XP

Found a good deal on a set of ferrea's on ebay. Going to snatch those up. Just ordered the head and oem springs.

Going to be a full rebuild. I got to drain the oil, pull off the brake and gear shifters and pull bottom end apart for inspection and cleaning.

I'm going to just take my time on this one. I got myself into this whole mess my rushing a simple task.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, K T said:

I read something about the Ferrea valves and NOT lapping them in during install. I think I may just send the new head off to have all the springs and whatnot installed...although I'd like to do it myself...just for the XP

I don't believe they are coated so you should be able to do a light clean up.  If your seats are pitted then you'll want to have them cut.  It's not terribly expensive to have Fast Head cut the seats if you supply all of the parts.

5 hours ago, K T said:

Found a good deal on a set of ferrea's on ebay. Going to snatch those up. Just ordered the head and oem springs.

Going to be a full rebuild. I got to drain the oil, pull off the brake and gear shifters and pull bottom end apart for inspection and cleaning.

I'm going to just take my time on this one. I got myself into this whole mess my rushing a simple task.

Pull the clutch side and you'll find most of what you need to find/know about the oil system health.  You remove the clutch basket and it will expose the pump drive gear and pump.  The pump is easily removed. for inspection.   I have seen failure of the plastic oil drive gear due to debris.  Let me know if you need any manuals for disassembly.

20190428_034002546_iOS.jpg.c393f3a5de129203d425bda81d029c9e.jpg

20190511_221324212_iOS.jpg.22d4d18d3fb89c40f83a66e266f31179.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, roleyrev said:

Pull the clutch side and you'll find most of what you need to find/know about the oil system health.  You remove the clutch basket and it will expose the pump drive gear and pump.  The pump is easily removed. for inspection.   I have seen failure of the plastic oil drive gear due to debris.  Let me know if you need any manuals for disassembly.

20190428_034002546_iOS.jpg.c393f3a5de129203d425bda81d029c9e.jpg

20190511_221324212_iOS.jpg.22d4d18d3fb89c40f83a66e266f31179.jpg

Good Lookin out. I'm using the clymers manual and have service manual on pdf. The top end damage didn't look too bad so I'm hoping bottom end looks ok.

Probably a good idea to throw new bearings in while case is split eh? I don't plan on getting rid of the bike anytime soon after this.

18 minutes ago, K T said:

Good Lookin out. I'm using the clymers manual and have service manual on pdf. The top end damage didn't look too bad so I'm hoping bottom end looks ok.

Probably a good idea to throw new bearings in while case is split eh? I don't plan on getting rid of the bike anytime soon after this.

Cool, it sounds like your well covered for manuals.  I used the HotRods bearing kits for the crank and gearbox as I thought wise to do while the cases were split .You may not need to address your gearbox bearings depending on mileage and condition.   A new plastic oil pump gear would be a good investment too. While I think of it an OEM case gasket for that side as well.  The OEM one has sealant applied around the oil and water galleries, the aftermarket ones do not. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roleyrev said:

Cool, it sounds like your well covered for manuals.  I used the HotRods bearing kits for the crank and gearbox as I thought wise to do while the cases were split .You may not need to address your gearbox bearings depending on mileage and condition.   A new plastic oil pump gear would be a good investment too. While I think of it an OEM case gasket for that side as well.  The OEM one has sealant applied around the oil and water galleries, the aftermarket ones do not. 

Yah I can't believe they used plastic on such a critical part. I guess they have their reasons...I should have the motor off the frame soon. I need to get some AC in my shop or a fan...the tx heat is not joke right now.

How do you guys feel about SKF bearings? I think I might go that route...or OEM for my mains.

51 minutes ago, K T said:

How do you guys feel about SKF bearings? I think I might go that route...or OEM for my mains.

Mains are specials which SKF wont do (18mm width as opposed the std bearing width of 19mm that you will get if you order SKF bearings form the code on the OE bearing)

Its either OEM or Hot Rods - not aware of any other source for mains (apart from buying them as Kawasaki parts which is usually cheaper than buying them as Suzuki parts)

Edited by GuyGraham

3 hours ago, GuyGraham said:

Mains are specials which SKF wont do (18mm width as opposed the std bearing width of 19mm that you will get if you order SKF bearings form the code on the OE bearing)

Its either OEM or Hot Rods - not aware of any other source for mains (apart from buying them as Kawasaki parts which is usually cheaper than buying them as Suzuki parts)

Good deal. Maybe I try the klx400 parts for lil cheaper price.