Do cam chains stretch

I have a 05 CRF450X and recently had to replace the cam chain tensioner. My question is does the cam chain stretch like a drive chain and need to be replaced? I have had this bike since I bought it new and after switching to a manual tensioner I noticed that the new tensioner is screwed way in . Does this mean I the chain has stretched too much ? Anyone run into this ?

49 minutes ago, DEEENO26 said:

I have a 05 CRF450X and recently had to replace the cam chain tensioner. My question is does the cam chain stretch like a drive chain and need to be replaced? I have had this bike since I bought it new and after switching to a manual tensioner I noticed that the new tensioner is screwed way in . Does this mean I the chain has stretched too much ? Anyone run into this ?

Absolutely yes, and yes, I would change out the cam chain.

Most will replace the cam chain every time they do a piston and ring change. 

• Like 2

yeah change out that cam chain like now..i had one skip a tooth and piston touched valve, had to walk out...you will see how stretched out the old one is compared to the new one you will put in.....I kept that old cam chain on the wall of my garage to always remember that ordeal

• Like 2

When you do replace it make sure you don't let the chain hang down!!!! It can and will get jammed in the case, and break a part of the case if it slips down .... Just FYI

• Like 2

Ok , so another question. Can you change the cam chain without removing the head ?

2 hours ago, Jim Dettman said:

Yes.  But you'll need to pull off the left side cover.

Jim.

Thanks that's what I thought I believe after I pull the fly wheel I can replace it

I would recommend a flywheel pulling tool.  There is an oil passage at the end of the crank that you don't want to damage.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dixon Cider said:

I would recommend a flywheel pulling tool.  There is an oil passage at the end of the crank that you don't want to damage.

yes thanks I ordered the tusk one for that,