Jump to content

Fan kit that fits 2019 450 XCF without Zipties

Recommended Posts

Recently bought a new 2019 450 XCF so I guess you can call me XCFthumper now lol. Was on some singletrack last weekend and started to smell coolant as if the bike was getting too hot. I installed tusk dualsport kit with a polisport halo led headlight and power supply seems to be fine. I definitely need to try to run a fan for the tight trails though, and was wondering if anyone thinks I’ll be able to get away with my led lights and a fan with stock stator, and also, I cannot find a fan kit for my year XCF that’s not universal and uses zipties. 
 

Any insight or help would be appreciated. 
 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, one that isn’t overly inflated in price I should have mentioned. 
 

tusk makes a 15 watt fan and I don’t think my small leds and that would exceed 40watts...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CRF THUMPER said:

If I decided to go with the 30 watt fan, would I need to change the rectifier if I add a trail tech high output stator? 
 

https://www.trailtech.net/s-8365-05

TT stator uses the stock rec/reg.

3 hours ago, CRF THUMPER said:

Sorry, one that isn’t overly inflated in price I should have mentioned. 
 

tusk makes a 15 watt fan and I don’t think my small leds and that would exceed 40watts...

You can go cheap and use zip ties, or pay the money to not use them if you want plug and play.  Your choice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CRF THUMPER said:

If I decided to go with the 30 watt fan, would I need to change the rectifier if I add a trail tech high output stator? 
 

https://www.trailtech.net/s-8365-05

The fan only requires about 20w or so to operate. But to kick the fan on requires nearly 3x the energy. 

The safest bet is to put a HO stator in... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are running lights so NO fan is safe with the stock stator on the SXF/XCF.

You have 40W to play with, but that is only at high RPM.  I had the TT 80W stator in my 450, and it would NOT safely power 80W of draw at anything under 3/4 throttle.

Just trail riding, I could safely have around 60W of draw.  If you don't want to eventually have to jump your bike (the fuel pump shuts down once the battery drops below 11.8v or so) limit the total draw to 30W (75% of extra stator capacity).

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, eastreich said:

You are running lights so NO fan is safe with the stock stator on the SXF/XCF.

You have 40W to play with, but that is only at high RPM.  I had the TT 80W stator in my 450, and it would NOT safely power 80W of draw at anything under 3/4 throttle.

Just trail riding, I could safely have around 60W of draw.  If you don't want to eventually have to jump your bike (the fuel pump shuts down once the battery drops below 11.8v or so) limit the total draw to 30W (75% of extra stator capacity).

Thank you for your input. This is exactly what I needed. My buddy who has the excf thinks a fan is overkill... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

The fan only requires about 20w or so to operate. But to kick the fan on requires nearly 3x the energy. 

The safest bet is to put a HO stator in... 

So you’re saying the tt stator is literally plug and play? Plugs into the stock rectifier plugs no hacking necessary? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The TT fans draw 30watts but it is intermittent, I have one on my CRF250X.   And  the X has a similar alternator output capacity and I've never had a low battery or an estart problem.   Nice unit and easy to adjust on/off temps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Chuck. said:

The TT fans draw 30watts but it is intermittent, I have one on my CRF250X.   And  the X has a similar alternator output capacity and I've never had a low battery or an estart problem.   Nice unit and easy to adjust on/off temps.


 have taillight brake and headlight also? 
 

maybe it’s doable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two LED tail/brake lights, no turn signals. And the headlight runs on a separate AC system from the alternator, 40watt halogen hi/lo bulb.

If I shut off the engine with the fan running it only continues for about 10-15 seconds and then shuts off. I have so much cooling that I blocked off half of the left radiator because the engine tended to run too cool (no thermostat). And then the fan keeps it from running too hot, I set the fan to come on at 200F so not too hot.  I have a Montesa Trials bike (also Honda) and it uses only one radiator w/ fan, I warm it up by waiting for the fan to come on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chuck. said:

Two LED tail/brake lights, no turn signals. And the headlight runs on a separate AC system from the alternator, 40watt halogen hi/lo bulb.

If I shut off the engine with the fan running it only continues for about 10-15 seconds and then shuts off. I have so much cooling that I blocked off half of the left radiator because the engine tended to run too cool (no thermostat). And then the fan keeps it from running too hot, I set the fan to come on at 200F so not too hot.  I have a Montesa Trials bike (also Honda) and it uses only one radiator w/ fan, I warm it up by waiting for the fan to come on.

I ordered the tusk 15watt fan kit. I’ll stay local for a while make sure I don’t have any drainage issues and if so then I’ll cave and upgrade stator. The fan isn’t on the whole time so I think I should be ok? Lol we’ll see though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With 2 radiators and a 15watt fan I suspect you will be good. I would consider having a coolant temp gauge on your bars so you can see what is happening.  I have a Vapor on mine that shows coolant temp but Trail Tech sells a cable extension kit for their fans to move the control unit & temp gauge to the handlebars.  Some have used computer fans and just leave them on during tight ST. If you want a fan switch here is a very small water proof rocker with an LED. Dorman #84823.  I bought mine off Amazon for about $8.

th?id=OIP.Cp8RSQZB388Ttd1zboSE9gHaHa&w=1

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went in nicely. Kicks on good. Idles with it then I turn bike off fan stays on and cycles on and off until cooling bike down below temp. Bike starts right back up. We’ll see if we get any issues on trails tomorrow. 

E8C0AC97-9A74-4117-B607-0E4D3CE184BC.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...