Jump to content
ADVLite

It's here!!! Beta 300RX

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, GP said:

I have no idea for sure about the frame but I would suspect, from a mfg point of view it is the same.   Trans is the same. 

What I do stand by though is this will sell for two reasons, its a 300 2stroke with a KYB fork.   They could forget this little niche market plan, announce another limited late year run of 300 RRR models, and sell out just as fast or faster.   IMO sales would be only limited by the amount of forks they could get from KYB. 

You want to race vet MX with a Beta 300?  No need to wait this long.  Take a 300RRR, strip the bullshit off, swap 19" rear,  revalve, and swap in a 250 CDI.  In general from my experience, a map for a 250 will make a 300 a beast (likewise a 200 CDI in a 250, which I have done twice) .   This bike is basically that, nothing else special that matters much. 

Maybe I'm a bit biased or even annoyed they wouldn't build a run of 200RR Race models (which I would have bought in a second) but then they put this thing out.  Like ffighter said, weird.  Maybe some extra '20 parts to get rid of. 

I completely agree.  It's an odd move, especially as Beta has made so many spot on moves. 

The market demand is for a KYB equipped 200, a 200cc X-trainer,  and a 300 X-trainer with better performance suspension.  Those moves alone, none of which are groundbreaking and zero redesign necessary, would yield significant results.  

The 300cc MX just isn't needed. It's obvious that the 2-stroke MX market is on life support already with the exception of youth/junior bikes.  

Strange move in light of current market and especially with the present situation where 300cc Enduro bikes are at an all time high in demand.  

I agree with what others have said,  a Harescramble bike equipped for high speed off road racing would have been much better received.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, firffighter said:

I completely agree.  It's an odd move, especially as Beta has made so many spot on moves. 

The market demand is for a KYB equipped 200, a 200cc X-trainer,  and a 300 X-trainer with better performance suspension.  Those moves alone, none of which are groundbreaking and zero redesign necessary, would yield significant results.  

The 300cc MX just isn't needed. It's obvious that the 2-stroke MX market is on life support already with the exception of youth/junior bikes.  

Strange move in light of current market and especially with the present situation where 300cc Enduro bikes are at an all time high in demand.  

I agree with what others have said,  a Harescramble bike equipped for high speed off road racing would have been much better received.  

I have questioned many things in my mind about what Beta has done, but I always end up thinking the same thing. 
Have any of us run a motorcycle company? Done marketing for motorcycles? Seen the real sales figures? Know for sure what really sells? Know for sure what does and doesn’t make money.  The guys at Beta do (Tim Pilg specifically) and about everything they have done has turned into gold. No other motorcycle brand has seen the kind of growth in the US as Beta. In 2010 they where tiny, now they are a major player with many employees!  The growth has been huge!! I might make comments they should do this or that, but in the end I don’t doubt anything they do!

  • Like 4
  • Helpful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Surprising they aren't selling this here in the UK, yet, a lot of riders would be all over this.

What are the US rules for capacity classes for MX, what will this be competing against in its class?

Also, how does the pricing compare against Husky/KTM equivalents?  What do they sell there? SX250 and XC300?

 

Edited by tim2007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Cullins said:

I have questioned many things in my mind about what Beta has done, but I always end up thinking the same thing. 
Have any of us run a motorcycle company? Done marketing for motorcycles? Seen the real sales figures? Know for sure what really sells? Know for sure what does and doesn’t make money.  The guys at Beta do (Tim Pilg specifically) and about everything they have done has turned into gold. No other motorcycle brand has seen the kind of growth in the US as Beta. In 2010 they where tiny, now they are a major player with many employees!  The growth has been huge!! I might make comments they should do this or that, but in the end I don’t doubt anything they do!

100%. Beta has really done something that only KTM was able to do back in 2000's, which is, make bikes that that resonate with the market at the right time. Their growth has been something nobody could have predicted, and they have really impressed even the biggest skeptics.  

Like I mentioned earlier,  maybe there's a niche outside of the U.S. for this bike, or it's an early indication of a possible move towards the MX world.  Obviously we have no idea,  but all good discussion points.  

There's always going to be something we as customers would like to see as improvements or new bikes in the lineup as we see things from our perspectives. 

 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In TX, MX is alive and well. And im pretty sure Cali is even more...

on any weekend, this is what a typical mx park in my hood looks like...

20171119-134030.jpg

New products is the life blood of any products based company.  If you keep selling stale products, you don't grow. 

so i'm on the camp that  thinks this new 300 will sell out just as quickly as the new 200 did.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cullins said:

I have questioned many things in my mind about what Beta has done, but I always end up thinking the same thing. 
Have any of us run a motorcycle company? Done marketing for motorcycles? Seen the real sales figures? Know for sure what really sells? Know for sure what does and doesn’t make money.  The guys at Beta do (Tim Pilg specifically) and about everything they have done has turned into gold. No other motorcycle brand has seen the kind of growth in the US as Beta. In 2010 they where tiny, now they are a major player with many employees!  The growth has been huge!! I might make comments they should do this or that, but in the end I don’t doubt anything they do!

I agree with you. No other company has had a faster rise from what I can tell.
 

When looking at Holcombes race bike profiles   it’s the exactly the same as a stock frame as far as geometry etc but without the steering lock etc and it has just one coat of paint vs stock . The difference was just for weight.  So later we will see what difference this rx is from an rr or race edition .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jeddclampette said:

In TX, MX is alive and well. And im pretty sure Cali is even more...

on any weekend, this is what a typical mx park in my hood looks like...

20171119-134030.jpg

New products is the life blood of any products based company.  If you keep selling stale products, you don't grow. 

so i'm on the camp that  thinks this new 300 will sell out just as quickly as the new 200 did.

Sounds good. I wish there was more of of that here. That’s a completely different scene than here. MX is barely alive compared to hard enduro here. There has been plans for a race track to be opened with lots of motor sports racing... but with covid that’s shot to shit like any other sports with a crowd. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cullins said:

I have questioned many things in my mind about what Beta has done, but I always end up thinking the same thing. 
Have any of us run a motorcycle company? Done marketing for motorcycles? Seen the real sales figures? Know for sure what really sells? Know for sure what does and doesn’t make money.  The guys at Beta do (Tim Pilg specifically) and about everything they have done has turned into gold. No other motorcycle brand has seen the kind of growth in the US as Beta. In 2010 they where tiny, now they are a major player with many employees!  The growth has been huge!! I might make comments they should do this or that, but in the end I don’t doubt anything they do!

In our own self-serving minds, we all know what might be best. I'm not an MX guy, so this bike is not my cup of tea. If they had built a 200XT, I'd shove people to the ground to be first on the wait list. In my jaded perspective, there is a market segment missing that Beta would OWN if they built some mid sized bikes to outperform the CRF/TTR/KLX/DRZ segment in 150-230cc range. The future of family recreation (outside the racing world) could be reshaped with performance based machines like a 125cc 2T trail bike in the 19"/16" wheel range, and a 200XT with a 34" seat height. 

Honda saw the light decades ago and the CRF50/70/80/100/125/150/230 range was developed. Now it's outdated tech, heavy, and underperforming. 

As for the 300RX-

I have to wonder, with as much $$$ as Tim likely spent sponsoring that top fuel funny car team, what if he entered the sx/mx  arena with a factory sponsored team for 2021? Let the rumors start now. 

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

In our own self-serving minds, we all know what might be best. I'm not an MX guy, so this bike is not my cup of tea. If they had built a 200XT, I'd shove people to the ground to be first on the wait list. In my jaded perspective, there is a market segment missing that Beta would OWN if they built some mid sized bikes to outperform the CRF/TTR/KLX/DRZ segment in 150-230cc range. The future of family recreation (outside the racing world) could be reshaped with performance based machines like a 125cc 2T trail bike in the 19"/16" wheel range, and a 200XT with a 34" seat height. 

Honda saw the light decades ago and the CRF50/70/80/100/125/150/230 range was developed. Now it's outdated tech, heavy, and underperforming. 

As for the 300RX-

I have to wonder, with as much $$$ as Tim likely spent sponsoring that top fuel funny car team, what if he entered the sx/mx  arena with a factory sponsored team for 2021? Let the rumors start now. 

If Rieju brings product to market in "2021", they have plans for a Ranger model with displacements including 200/250/300. This will eat away at X-Trainer sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This looks like it will be a fun bike for the casual weeknight / open track day MX rider - of which there are plenty. Beta makes fun bikes and having a 300 2 stroke to rip around in soft disced loam and sand will be very entertaining! Think of it as the people that take their classic cars to the open track days.

I bet the 'custom frame' could be that they deleted the kickstand mount and possibly added some extra gusseting in key areas for torsional et al rigidity. With the stiffer suspension in the MX realm, it would probably stress the already compliant chromoly frame out - so adding key gussets or thicker walled tubing (in areas that wouldn't require heavy lift re-engineering) would make a better frame for MX to let the suspension do all the work.

I know plenty of people that love to ride 300 and 500 2 strokes on vintage/open class practice days - this will be a stupidly fun modern spin on that!

Edited by mobile chernobyl
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

If Rieju brings product to market in "2021", they have plans for a Ranger model with displacements including 200/250/300. This will eat away at X-Trainer sales.

Not much. Gasgas/rieju is not proven to be a stable strong company. Gasgas failed twice in 5 years. Rieju? Another rookie start up... another huge question mark. .The stable strong company is the red ktm/gasgas and that’s ok but Beta is a better company for backing its products. The Ranger is the same seat height as an rr or race edition. Good luck to rieju and the old/ new Gasgas but in a comparison with Beta??? The xtrainer cranks sales and has broad appeal as a great bike from a solid company. I don’t know where rieju goes from here. It’s great they are here but if anything Beta is more cemented as a better buy. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

If Rieju brings product to market in "2021", they have plans for a Ranger model with displacements including 200/250/300. This will eat away at X-Trainer sales.

Rieju is a joke. If they were priced under the main players they might have a chance but their 300 offering costs as much as a Beta. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, firffighter said:

 agree with what others have said,  a Harescramble bike equipped for high speed off road racing would have been much better received.  

Is that not what the RE is? Or are you talking 450 4t?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, ADVLite said:

Rieju is a joke. If they were priced under the main players they might have a chance but their 300 offering costs as much as a Beta. 

Well it’s starting. Hopefully they make more sense in leading this company than torrot did.   I hope they do well. Still yeah I agree let’s be real on where rieju is. No one knows shit about them yet. Time will tell. Right now Beta still looks like a best buy . Got the no kicker sherco and tpi ktm of different colors and overly rare TM . All are ok to buy. Still Beta wins and now has a full lineup and adding an mx bike.. Betas bases are all covered so much so that they are adding an MX bike. Strange.. True .. and well maybe yea it will sell well.. Ok so who is buying???? Tell is how it goes.. When will the first RX be available?? Now? I have a feeling I will never see this bike come to Hawaii. It’s the opposite of what’s in demand here. I guess I’ll be watching vids and hearing reviews of any of you guys who buy.. If it doesn’t sell to much maybe a demo could come our way to sell? Maybe that’s a chance at seeing? And maybe trying?

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Reading up on FB with a few of the players, Chance Fullerton's FB was interesting. It appears he was involved in the testing, and some people apparently rode the bike/s not realizing they were testbeds for the new model. It also appears Brian Bolding (N2Dirt) had "seen" (worked on suspension?) the bikes but he didn't know either, but now after the release they are recognizing them... Can't find anything yet on Jake Weimer, but I'd guess he'll be on the bike for the Vet and 2t Championships at Glen Helen along with Rodney and Chance.

 It definitely looks like a Beta USA developed thing. The 300 is Beta's most successful engine on the World racing scene so I get why they are using it, and it fits a niche only TM is filling currently. It will make a great platform for XC/GNCC type racing with a rear wheel swap if wanted, but honestly the woods are full of guys on MX bikes with 19's and it's not a big thing. 

Rideability has proven it's worth in Beta racing so far, and expect that will hold up just as well in MX in spite of the belief that they need more hit.

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Doctor Impostor said:

Is that not what the RE is? Or are you talking 450 4t?

RE is definitely a race oriented bike.

I was thinking like JD, GP, and others have shared in the past, an even more stripped down version would appeal as a pure off road dedicated race bike. 

Tough for any manufacturer to have every category covered though and I applaud Beta for branching out even further. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2020 at 5:50 AM, eastreich said:

Ding Ding Ding!

We have a winner!

Seriously, that is the best target Beta should shoot for getting into MX.  Go where no one else is.  Beta is just ripping a page from the old KTM playbook.  Plus with the e-start standard?  Brilliant!  Vet and Senior class riders will be ALL over the 300 RX.

I won't bet more than $1 that KTM will start to make production 300SX models for 2022...  No more buying a 250SX and then spending the $ for the 300 kit...

125cc would make a lot more sense IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...